Imo, the best part of owning a diesel is... - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > Diesels
Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Click Here to Login

Old 07-30-2007, 10:14 AM   #1
Registered Member

Imo, the best part of owning a diesel is...

Smoke screens. Nothing gets someone off my @$$ faster than getting off the pedal, then slamming it to the metal. I forgot how nice it is to have this ability... The best part is, AFAIK, most people pass because they thing something is wrong w/ the car, so it's fairly non confrontational. Less other diesels of course, but the big pickup and semi drivers don't tend to sit on my ***, they just blast by in the #N-1 lane.

omgwtfbyobbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 09:20 PM   #2
Registered Member

I wish I could do that....but my smart doesn't smoke. At all......

1966 Peugeot 404 Coupe Injection
Mike T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 09:40 PM   #3
Registered Member

You can make it smoke if you really wanna... Trust me. Oh, and you have 60.66mpg while I have 60.99mpg, bloody weird if you ask me.
Old 07-31-2007, 03:21 AM   #4
Registered Member

Cool, I didn't quite realize that you had converted a rabbit to diesel. are you peeing and geeing?
Old 07-31-2007, 06:29 AM   #5
Registered Member

Really, the most I get is a tiny invisible puff when the car is first started....the rest of the time, the electronic "gas" pedal and catalyst keep particles to a minimum.

Remapped diesel smarts smoke, but that's another story....

60.66 and 60.99! LOL
1966 Peugeot 404 Coupe Injection
Mike T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 11:16 AM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skewbe View Post
Cool, I didn't quite realize that you had converted a rabbit to diesel. are you peeing and geeing?
Not a whole lot, yet... Most of my last drive was either 50-55mph freeway, or city. There are places where I can for maybe 5-10 miles, but over 100+ miles it's not a whole lot. Otoh, if I feel like driving in a circle, I can go head out in the opposite direction of civilization and drive back and forth on the highway, peeing and geeing to my heart's content at an average of ~35mph, but I'm not sure if I can justify wasting gas/time just to see what kinda mileage the car gets w/ P&G.
Old 08-22-2007, 02:04 PM   #7
Registered Member

ahh...smoke screens. They pretty much rock. One time they even made a guy who was following me/road raging on me give up and turn around because he couldnt see/breath. My rabbit doesnt smoke much unless I rev it with no load while driving but if I do that I leave a nice black cloud behind me. I would be interested in what all you have done to your rabbit? I Have replaced the downpipe and muffler, mildly ported the head, removed the restrictor plate in the intake manifold, built a cowl induction intake, replaced all the brakes, replaced bearings and drive shafts, and lowered it a couple inches. I drive pedal to the metal and get about 40 mpg but thats with the fuel turned up quite a bit. It can hit 100 mph on flat ground now. I alternate between being short on time and driving fast, and leaving early and driving for gas mileage. right now Im short on time so mileage has suffered.

post more details of your rabbit please. How are you getting such insane mileage(besides driving really slow). Thanks
hotroddr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 04:18 PM   #8
Registered Member

Just driving slow so far. The f'n odometer broke and I haven't fixed it yet so no new tanks unless I fix it or gmap out all my driving, however if I fill next time I go out I can see what some ~70-80mph freeway driving does to my mileage. Once I get the front brakes to start dragging, up the pressure in the tires, swap to synth trans fluid, and a belly pan I hope to break into the 70mpg@50mph range.
Old 08-23-2007, 01:00 PM   #9
Registered Member

My TDI has barely noticeable smoke even under full-load throttle, but the Dodge will lay down a smokescreen that the guys on the space shuttle can see. And it smell like chinese food. I like power-braking next to people who want to inflict their lousy taste in music on the rest of the world. Wanna see someone try to give their power windows an assist? Fill their car with the stench of a thousand fried animals of various species. Gratification, thy name is diesel.
stinkindiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 01:43 PM   #10
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgwtfbyobbq View Post
...The f'n odometer broke...
Ahh broken rabbit odo, Been there-fixed that (had to glue my gear back together):

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3276004