New owner of a veggie oil system. Looking for advice - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > Diesels
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 02-12-2024, 10:20 AM   #1
Registered Member

New owner of a veggie oil system. Looking for advice

Hello hello dieselers!

I'm not the proud owner of a 1991 Mitsubishi Delica with a plantdrive (used veggie oil) system.

Since I'm new to this I thought I'd check in and see if anyone has any advice what what I should check out with the system. Mainly, I want to make sure it's operating correctly and that the advice I was given by the previous owner is accurate.

So, any advice on one operating one of these is VERY welcome. Thanks in advance everyone!

Kylegp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 02:08 PM   #2
Registered Member

The first thing I would do I check if its legal to run your vehicle on vegetable oil, as here in the UK it's very illegal and lands you with huge fines. Its a lot cheaper to buy than regular diesel due to the fact that regular diesel is mainly tax. There is a distinct smell from the exhaust which often gives it away you're trying to dodge fuel taxes...

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2024, 06:56 PM   #3
Registered Member

Congrats on becoming the proud owner of a Delica with a Plantdrive system! That's an awesome combination. It's understandable to have some questions as a new veggie oil user, and you've come to the right place. Let's see how we can help:

Checking the System:

Start with the basics: Do you have any manuals or documentation for the Plantdrive system? Those will be invaluable in understanding its components and operation.
Visually inspect: Look for leaks, loose connections, and any obvious signs of wear or damage on the lines, tanks, and filters. Pay close attention to the heat exchanger and pre-heater components.
Test the system: If possible, try running the engine on both diesel and veggie oil. See if there are any noticeable differences in performance, smoke, or engine noises.
Filter check: Ensure the veggie oil filters are clean and replaced regularly. Contaminated oil can harm your engine.
Fuel quality: Ask the previous owner about their sourcing and filtering process for the veggie oil. If unsure, get a fresh batch from a reputable source and filter it thoroughly before using.

Previous Owner Advice:

Clarify questions: Ask specific questions about any advice the previous owner gave you. Double-check anything that seems unclear or contradicts information you find online.
Verify sources: If they mentioned specific parts, maintenance procedures, or fuel sources, research them online to confirm their legitimacy and applicability to your Delica and Plantdrive system.
TolanaAudery is offline   Reply With Quote

« Tracking DEF use | - »