drafting alternative? - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > Aerodynamics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 06-09-2007, 07:28 AM   #11
Registered Member

basjoos, 100 mpg is just wonderful. Your car is like a flying needle.
From what you wrote about your front design, I'm considering a further mod to my front. Not a complete horizontal wedge like yours, it's just toooo radical for me at this point.

I'm considering a complete flat near-solid "grill" replacement going across from corner lens to corner lens. Lower edge will be even with bumper's top forward edge and the upper edge will meet the hood. So it's about a foot tall, and has an angle of maybe 30 degrees off vertical. Will have cutouts for the two headlights (each 6"x8") and the radiator + air intake.

Hmm. I could extend the lower edge further forward than the bumper. Would wreck under impact but... the slope angle would change for the better, considerably.

Now driving '97 Civic HX; tires ~ 50 psi. '89 Volvo 240 = semi-retired.
brucepick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 04:00 PM   #12
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgwtfbyobbq View Post
That's what ya get for minimizing the drag coefficient with no regard for engine speed/BSFC!
Btw, you should be a gearing change or two away from a 100mpg average.
Totally.

And Brucepick, maybe you could make your front slope thing out of plexiglass and go in front of the headlights too. kitcar did a little lesson on bending plex in case you didn't see it.