Grill Block Material - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > Aerodynamics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 06-30-2008, 05:24 AM   #11
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
I saw a complete plastic front end on the side of a highway the other day. It must have been from the early '90s, as it had lots of plastic and not much grille opening area.

I'll drive by again in a few days. If it's still there I'm taking it and using it as material for my grille block.

Old 06-30-2008, 08:55 AM   #12
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
I saw a complete plastic front end on the side of a highway the other day. It must have been from the early '90s, as it had lots of plastic and not much grille opening area.

I'll drive by again in a few days. If it's still there I'm taking it and using it as material for my grille block.
keep America beautiful

COMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 10:36 AM   #13
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic lover View Post
Wondering what is good material to use for a grill block. Keep cost in mind. Let me know what you used.
Aluminum sheet. It was from house siding/flashing. It was in my shed when I moved into the house, so the price was right!
Old 07-07-2008, 12:04 AM   #14
Registered Member

I want something very temporary for my Mitsubishi for my long highway trips, but I'm worried that I'll raise the internal temperature too much. Would a mattress foam work? The squishy kind that you put under your bed sheets. I think that it could alleviate potential overheating, while at the same time providing some drag relief. The material is covered with tiny perforations which at a high speed could allow small amounts of air in. I assume you could poke more of them into it if need be.

What do you guys think? I have yet to do any aero mods to my car yet, mostly because the body, paint, and the rest of the car look great!

atomicradish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 06:37 AM   #15
Registered Member

I don't think the foam is worth the effort. It's not going to provide adequate airflow at any speed if airflow is in fact an issue for you, but consider this:

The cooling system of the modern car is designed for the worst conditions you can throw at it, i.e., towing with a full car on a Las Vegas hot kind of day. Cars may not maintain that kind of efficiency as they get older, but they are certainly capable of it initially. Just watch your temp guage.

I think, therefore I doubt.
Snax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 10:02 AM   #16

I used a piece of vinyl siding.
BBsGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 10:37 AM   #17
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to Loserkidwac
as other said alum, I had some alum flashing laying around the garage so I used the cut it to fit the whole in the bumper and then used some zipties to attach it, lightweight and cheap did the trick a coat of paint and you'd never notice it...

03 Mazdaspeed Protege
91 Honda CRX Si
95 Honda Civic VX *RIP 5/20/08
94 Honda Del Slow D15z1 Swapped
Loserkidwac is offline   Reply With Quote