Speedboat Aerodynamics - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > Aerodynamics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 05-23-2020, 12:58 AM   #1

Speedboat Aerodynamics

Hi there,

looking to do some CFD testing on my speedboat which I've modelled up on Rhino. Just closing it now so it's a solid model.
I'm looking to improve the aerodynamics a bit, not something I know much about so open to suggestions.
Added this motorbike windscreen in front of the outboard which added around 0.57 knots.
Boat is 4 meters long, 2 persons onboard, 70hp Yamaha at around 70mph. Got a world record at Coniston 2018 at 70.10mph average, hoping to beat that again

Any help appreciated!

roflhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2024, 06:44 PM   #2
Registered Member

Wink

When you get the chance, I recomend wool tuft testing her, real world testing beats amateur cfd by a long stretch and its also very cheap. here's a video how to do it https://youtu.be/dUPLa2mQgLE?si=9oI6mOj8d4rfF_Oj
This only works if the wool isnt entirely wet but it wouldnt hurt to try. When I do this type of testing on my cars I usually have two car driving paralel to each other, the test subject and the camera car (keeping in mind to not drive too close as the turbulence from the camera car can influence the subject's airflow). For your aplication it should be liltle more dificult to film this way due to the constant up and down movement of the camera on a moving embarcation. what I would try to do have a cameraman on a stationnary embarcation, or even land if possible, and have you drive past a couple of times in different directions.
also dont forget to tuft the inside of the boat and have someone record, or if its not too dangerous you could film it youserlf while driving.

This is a very intersting subject and I hope to hear from you in the future
beyond_pistache is offline   Reply With Quote