"$2500 Cars, 1000 MPG" - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > News and Articles > Automotive News, Articles and Products
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 01-28-2007, 12:38 AM   #1
Registered Member

"$2500 Cars, 1000 MPG"

Microsoft vs GM.

For all of us who feel only the deepest love and affection for the way computers have enhanced our lives, read on. At a recent computer expo (COMDEX), Bill Gates reportedly compared the computer industry with the auto industry and stated, "If GM had kept up with technology like the computer industry has, we would all be driving $2500 cars that got 1,000 miles to the gallon."

In response to Bill's comments, General Motors issued a press release stating: If GM had developed technology like Microsoft, we would all be driving cars with the following characteristics:

1. For no reason whatsoever, your car would crash twice a day.

2. Every time they repainted the lines in the road, you would have to buy a new car.

3. Occasionally your car would die on the freeway for no reason. You would have to pull to the side of the road, close all of the windows, shut off the car, restart it, and reopen the windows before you could continue. For some reason you would simply accept this.

4. Occasionally, executing a maneuver such as a left turn would cause your car to shut down and refuse to restart, in which case you would have to reinstall the engine.

5. Macintosh! would make a car that was powered by the sun, was reliable, five times as fast and twice as easy to drive -- but would run on only five percent of the roads.

6. The oil, water temperature, and alternator warning lights would all be replaced by a single "This Car Has Performed An Illegal Operation" warning light.

7. The airbag system would ask "Are you sure?" before deploying.

8. Occasionally, for no reason whatsoever, your car would lock you out and refuse to let you in until you simultaneously lifted the door handle, turned the key and grabbed hold of the radio antenna.

9. Every time a new car was introduced car buyers would have to learn how to drive all over again because none of the controls would operate in the same manner as the old car.

10. You'd have to press the "Start" button to turn the engine off.

What say you?

CO ZX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 03:57 AM   #2
Registered Member

hahahah

Quote:
7. The airbag system would ask "Are you sure?" before deploying.

LxMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 07:25 AM   #3
*shrug*

I would be apt to agree with Gates.

That's why I drive a honda and use a Mac.
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 07:35 AM   #4
Tuggin at the surly bonds

I think that joke is a perenial favorite. It's hard not to nod your head and say to yourself: "I know what he means."
Old 01-28-2007, 08:49 AM   #5
Registered Member

Absolute truth?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silveredwings View Post
I think that joke is a perenial favorite. It's hard not to nod your head and say to yourself: "I know what he means."
If we were dealing with absolute truth, there would be a lot of blank pages everywhere we looked.

Opinions evidently count considerably.

Anyway, I saw enough probabilities to smile.
Old 01-28-2007, 08:57 AM   #6
Registered Member

Send a message via MSN to GasSavers_Red
nice
Old 01-28-2007, 11:23 AM   #7
Tuggin at the surly bonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by CO ZX2 View Post
If we were dealing with absolute truth, there would be a lot of blank pages everywhere we looked.

Opinions evidently count considerably.

Anyway, I saw enough probabilities to smile.
Absolutely, I totally agree with everything ... except the source.
Old 01-28-2007, 01:40 PM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CO ZX2 View Post
10. You'd have to press the "Start" button to turn the engine off.
What say you?
We do. We do this all day. We press the button on the TV remote to turn it on and the same button to turn it off. We press the same button on the garage door opener to open and to close the door. Many mechanical (as opposed to electronic) items do the same 'push for on, push again for off' operation. Flash lights, light switches, mechanical stopwatches, we use the same starter key (not a 'stopper' key) to cease engine operation.
And when you really think about it, the Microsoft "Start" isn't available until after the computer has started.
Lug_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 05:15 PM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug_Nut View Post
We do. We do this all day. We press the button on the TV remote to turn it on and the same button to turn it off. We press the same button on the garage door opener to open and to close the door. Many mechanical (as opposed to electronic) items do the same 'push for on, push again for off' operation. Flash lights, light switches, mechanical stopwatches, we use the same starter key (not a 'stopper' key) to cease engine operation.
And when you really think about it, the Microsoft "Start" isn't available until after the computer has started.
This is all in fun. I would be interested to hear your explanations of the other 9 items.