Cheating the test - Page 7 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 10-13-2015, 03:53 AM   #61
Registered Member

I like how you only post diesel bashing related topics now Charon, is it your new hobby? The thing to remember with N0x emissions is that thier measurements are in grams per km, so when they state a car emits 10 times more, you're still looking at microscopic amounts that usually start with "zero point" something. Now if it were 10 times C02, that would alarming!

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 04:59 AM   #62
Registered Member

This isn't directly related to "Cheating the Test" but it is the same sort of item. Port of Los Angeles has failed to meet pollution-cutting measures - LA Times Enjoy.

Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 05:20 AM   #63
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charon View Post
This isn't new news. The organization that backed the West Virginia University study that caught VW ran an earlier one with diesel and gasoline cars on European roads. Yes, the diesels exceeded their regulated emission limits outside the test dyno on public roads. So did the gasoline models.

The diesels exceeded their limits by a greater amount than the gasoline ones, but the study's conclusion was that current tests for regulation compliance do not reflect the drive cycles that cars actually experienced. I'm sure a closer look will be made now.
trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 11:10 PM   #64
Registered Member

Nice to see they're about to start compiling "real world" data for both Economy and emissions. Will give people a more accurate idea of what they can expect on average, from day to day car ownership. This should have done years ago, the current lab test is so open to manipulation etc. Story here: New vehicle NOx rating scheme launched | Next Green Car

Old 02-08-2016, 06:02 AM   #65
Registered Member

Here we go again. http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/08/bu...tion-test.html
Old 02-09-2016, 04:52 AM   #66
Registered Member

These aren't all manufacturers cheating the test, but also lax rules and unrepresentative test methods on the part of regulators.
trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 01:50 PM   #67
Registered Member

I know you're on a constant diesel bashing mission Charon, but you may be interested to learn that a UK based consumer group has been conducting it's own tests and found that 10% of gas powered cars emit more N0x than they should (more than the Euro 3 standards) and the majority of petrol cars tested also emitted more carbon dioxide and carbon monoxide than the limits allow. One of the worse offenders was a hybrid...

And the worse N0x diesel offenders was an American SUV, "awkward"

Old 02-09-2016, 02:41 PM   #68
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draigflag View Post
I know you're on a constant diesel bashing mission Charon, but you may be interested to learn that a UK based consumer group has been conducting it's own tests and found that 10% of gas powered cars emit more N0x than they should (more than the Euro 3 standards) and the majority of petrol cars tested also emitted more carbon dioxide and carbon monoxide than the limits allow. One of the worse offenders was a hybrid...

And the worse N0x diesel offenders was an American SUV, "awkward"
Do you have a link to the test? I'm interested to see which hybrid and SUV it was.
Old 02-09-2016, 05:19 PM   #69
Registered Member

Just so you know, I do think turbo diesels have their place. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtRTh4neSPg

And more - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSM4ni_O25Q

Or perhaps you will find this entertaining - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNHncZKGCkI
Old 02-10-2016, 01:11 AM   #70
Registered Member

And that just proves how hypocritical the US government is, how can they possibly allow stuff like that to exist and then restrict small super efficient passenger cars. Commercial vehicles only make up about 2-5% of the traffic here, yet create 85% of the pollution, and I'm assuming the fact that N0X emissions in the US from transport are double that of Europe for the same reasons, the commercial trucks that generate all that pollution somehow manage to slip through any emission testing.

You can't really compare cars of today with those trucks, they are opposite extremes, but I can see you've embedded a bad image of diesels so deep in your head, you'll probably never warm to the idea.

Matt here's the link;Car emissions - the worst offenders - Driver tools - Driving your car - Which? Car