MG4 X-Power test drive - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Alternative Fuels > Electric and Solar powered
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 08-05-2023, 12:28 AM   #1
Registered Member

MG4 X-Power test drive

Test drove the X-Power last weekend. First thoughts, the Alcantara really lifts the cabin and makes it feel more premium, an alcantara wheel would have been nice. Metal pedals are a nice touch too. All feels very familiar if you're used to driving a 4. No noticeable difference in road noise or quality. The biggest difference is probably the extra motor whine from the additional motor in front of you, which I actually like, gives the car a little character and a touch of rawness that EVs are often missing. In eco mode, I believe it only uses the rear motor to conserve energy, so you won't hear the front motor then. Acceleration is as expected, pretty damn quick. You'll either scare yourself half to death, or burst out in laughter depending what kind of person you are, I'm the latter thankfully. I can imagine flooring the go pedal could become a bit addictive. More than enough power for a quick B road blast for sure. The 0-60 takes just 3.6 seconds. Top speed is only 124 MPH. Steering didn't feel any better sadly, obviously used the same rack. A faster rack with better feedback would have given the X-Power the edge, I really wish they'd worked harder on this as handling is really important to me living in Wales. Car was showing an average of 2.5 miles KWH, but I reset it on the dual carriageway and even at 65-70 it averaged 3.9 in sport mode, respectable. It has the same battery as the Trophy at 64 KWH, assuming they didn't fit the 77 KWH battery to save weight and cost, although the extra range would be useful on a car that consumes more electrons. Now I'm left with the dilemma of whether to give up my current cars for this one. My biggest concern as of late is the depreciation, some EVs are losing 50% in just 7 months, I'd be devastated if that was me. On the plus side, there's small signs the market may be recovering so I'm going to keep a very watchful eye. Go drive one, you won't be disappointed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1633~2.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	164.0 KB
ID:	2895   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1632.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	138.9 KB
ID:	2896  

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2023, 12:45 PM   #2
LDB
Registered Member

I'm most impressed with the incredible amount of grip in those tires! I don't think I want a car that quick any more. I like it and it is very cool but personally I think I'm in the 0-60 6.x seconds and a good bit more range phase now.

LDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2023, 01:08 PM   #3
Registered Member

Well the extended range would suit you then, 0-60 in a tickle over 6 and 325 mile range. Having said that, even the Xpower is good for 1000+ miles a week assuming you have a driveway you could charge on at night.

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2023, 04:47 PM   #4
LDB
Registered Member

Yes, the extended range sounds much better for me, not that we'll be getting them.

LDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2023, 02:29 AM   #5
Registered Member

My brother has just gone PHEV with a view to going full BEV in 3 years' time. At the moment the MG4 is top of his list.

« MG4 collection day | - »