Getting started with a new car - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuelly Community Support > Fuelly Web Support and Community News
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 04-11-2011, 07:56 AM   #1

Getting started with a new car

How do I get started? I have a new car, came with about half a tank, I've filed up since then, but only just started tracking milage. What should I do? Fill up, start my trip computer, then track that with my total milage from new or what....? I'm confused...

daveycraney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 08:04 AM   #2
pb

Sorry about the confusion. The only time you need to interact with Fuelly is when you initially set up your car and then whenever you fuel-up your car. You don't need to change your behavior in any way to use Fuelly.

If you want to use odometer tracking, you don't even need the trip computer in your car. Here's what I'd do: next time you fill up your car, get the receipt. Jot down the current odometer reading on the receipt, throw it in your glove box. Then, next time you're at a computer visit Fuelly, click "Add a fuel-up", and enter the info from the receipt into Fuelly.

Do that each time you get fuel and you'll eventually get a decent idea of your fuel economy. It takes a few fuel-ups to get a good average, but then you'll be set.

pb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 01:16 PM   #3

Another helpful tip.

Always fill up your tank each time you get fuel and fill it the same way. Some people just fill it till the nozzle pops, which is not entirely accurate at all pumps, others fill it up as much as possible.

Whether you fill it from nearly empty or its only half full and you fill it doesn't matter. Fill the tank, write the odometer on your receipt and just enter it at Fuelly the next time you're online.

Partial fill ups can be entered, but immediate MPG will not be available for them, so I generally don't do partial fill ups. Your overall MPG will not be affected by partial fill ups, so long as you do full tanks too.

And don't be afraid to ask any questions here if you have them, there are many members and some staff that can help you out.
DTMAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 08:44 PM   #4

i always fill up from the quarter tank mark, and up to one click. topping off is not such a good idea, spillage, evaporation, overflow etc all wastes fuel, by this varies from vehicle to vehicle
marlonza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 07:28 PM   #5
Registered Member

i feel silly for asking this question.

Im using the trip miles option to enter my fuel and mileage.

Anyway the first option asks for "km's since last fuel up". What amount is this? i know i last filled up 85km ago before i filled up "now". so does the 85km go in that field?

"Now" i filled up 35litres. Does the 35 litres go into the "litres" field?

This is a awesome site and can't wait to get my stats.
luqies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 12:25 AM   #6
pb

You might be overthinking it luqies. Every time you fuel-up just enter the distance you traveled since your last fuel-up and the amount of fuel you put in. So yeah, enter 85km and 35 litres.

If you're tracking with trip miles you're probably using your car's tripometer. Just zero it out after you fuel-up and enter the tripometer number next time you fuel-up, along with the number of litres you just put in. Repeat!
pb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 01:14 AM   #7
Registered Member

Shot I just filled my 37.4litres an my tripometer had 83km. So I put in 83km and 37.4 litres and now I reseted my tripometer. Shweet lol. Thanks for the quick reply.

luqies is offline   Reply With Quote