MPG calculation - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 09-09-2016, 07:51 PM   #1
Registered Member

MPG calculation

After two partial fill ups the next was a complete fill up and the MPG calculation is incorrect. The calculation seems to disregard the amount of fuel used in the partial fill ups.

Also what is the small little letter i in a blue circle next to the MPG calculation?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	log copy.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	104.0 KB
ID:	2283  

teamhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 12:15 AM   #2
Registered Member

The fourth fuel up down, before the partials works out at 61.9 MPG, there's your mistake. So your last full fuel up, and the one before the partials has averaged out.

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 12:18 AM   #3
Registered Member

And I just checked your fuel ups, I'm not sure you're using fuelly properly, and one of your cars is averaging almost 100 MPG, with a best of 362 MPG.

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 04:28 AM   #4
Registered Member

This problem and the obviously high MPG averages started with the conversion from Gas Buddy to Fuelly.
Old 09-10-2016, 07:13 AM   #5
Registered Member

All those entries highlighted in pink are currently being ignored from your calculations.
If you view them, they are being ignored because they have an odometer value of "0". Which doesn't allow for your MPG to be calculated.

The previous version of GasCubby allowed for no-odometer/0 values (I'm not sure why, actually). In an attempt to preserve your data and not remove anything, we migrated everything over, but needed a way to notify you (and others) of obvious bad-data. Simply edit those fuel ups, adding the necessary data requirements (in this case, an odometer value) and save, and it'll no longer be ignored.

The little "i" next to some entries designates "info" that you can mouse-over to view the message. This is used to indicate "This MPG value includes the preceding partial fuelups".
RobertV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 05:23 PM   #6
Registered Member

Previous versions of the GasBuddy did not ignore them - they were calculated on the first full tank with an odometer reading. It then would total the total milage between the two total fill ups adding the amount of fuel purchased over that time period. It is a basic calculation. This is a case of new and improved not so "improved."
Old 09-13-2016, 07:00 PM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamhonda View Post
Previous versions of the GasBuddy did not ignore them - they were calculated on the first full tank with an odometer reading. It then would total the total milage between the two total fill ups adding the amount of fuel purchased over that time period. It is a basic calculation. This is a case of new and improved not so "improved."
How was it getting the total mileage if it was zero?

MPG=Miles per Gallon=Miles/Gallon
It's in the name itself what information we need. No miles means we can't calculate MPG. Can't calculate, it gets skipped. Nothing new and improved about that.

PS- it's GasCubby. GasBuddy is a totally separate app that helps you find local gas prices.
Old 09-13-2016, 08:07 PM   #8
Registered Member

It is not zero. It would use the odometer reading from the last time it was entered from a complete fill up as the starting point and odometer reading from your most recent complete fill up and determine the total amount of miles driven. It would pull the amount of gas from each time you put gas in your car during this period, including the times when you did not have a complete fill up, and divide gallons into total miles driven. Before there were apps to do this that is the calculation method for the old pencil and paper method and the same calculation used by GasCubby previously.

In the end you might have four fill ups not showing mpg in the app but the first time you had a full tank with an odometer reading you would get the mpg for the total time period in question.
Old 09-13-2016, 08:16 PM   #9
Registered Member

If you look at the screen shot in my initial post the app correctly shows that I have traveled 975 miles over the period in question but is not using the total amount of gas purchased over the time period which is 54.855 gallons which results in a 17.79 mpg.

The app shows 51.48 mpg because it is only using the fuel amount of 18.957 in its calculation.
Old 09-13-2016, 08:53 PM   #10
Registered Member

So my question is-Why?
Why enter fuelups like this?