Suggestion: Comparing Apples to Apples - McIntosh Apples to Granny Smith Apples that is . . . - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuelly Community Support > Fuelly Web Support and Community News
Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Click Here to Login

Old 09-06-2008, 07:22 AM   #1

Suggestion: Comparing Apples to Apples - McIntosh Apples to Granny Smith Apples that is . . .

I'd like to be able to see comparisons between body styles/car types. I'm interested in my hatchback's mileage vs. other hatchbacks for instance. It might also be useful to see comparisons by manufacturer. Are Honda's cars/trucks really that much more fuel efficient than Ford's in the real world? I wanna know!

phillystyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 12:43 PM   #2
pb

Great idea. Comparing types of vehicles (hatchbacks, SUVs, etc.) is definitely in our plans, and we're starting to get enough people reporting mileage to make this happen.

We haven't been planning a cross-manufacturer comparison and I'm not sure what that would look like exactly. But it would be nice to see a summary of reported mileage at that level.

pb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 10:34 AM   #3

Vassup pb,

Here's how I'd envision it high-level. It could be a simple composite of all models by a given manufacturer as reported on fuelly offering the average mileage of all [Hondas] possibly with the ability to select/deselect countries and/or regions of the world for inclusion in the report. I think this could help buyers to weigh how 'clean' the manufacturer "really" is vs. what a combination of EPA reports & lobbyists report for CAFE standards (I think that's how it works ;oP). Anyway, I think this could be a pretty important factor in my future buying decisions if it were available.

I think a really useful subset could be the ability to see the avg mileage of all 2003 Toyota Corollas for example before actually buying a used one.
phillystyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 12:14 PM   #4
pb

I think a really useful subset could be the ability to see the avg mileage of all 2003 Toyota Corollas for example before actually buying a used one.

You can get a pretty good sense of the average mileage of a specific model/year by browsing to that page on Fuelly: 2003 Toyota Corollas. Check out the graph at the top of the page and you'll see where the mileage is distributed among Fuelly members with that car.
pb is offline   Reply With Quote