Too many entries W/ "0 MPG" - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 09-08-2008, 01:24 AM   #1
Registered Member

Too many entries W/ "0 MPG"

Way too many entries with "0 MPG". What's up with allowing people to register a car, but never enter any data? Really dilutes the 'value', and doesn't adhere to the mission statement of the site for the users that are interested in comparing /researching fuel economy data. Write a sub-routine that removes a new entry after a period of time if it still contains "0 MPG". This would get rid of the clutter in the Vehicle List.

DPTyphoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 01:30 AM   #2
pb

You can always hize zero mpg while browsing if you want. Just look for the link to hide those at the top of the page.

Even if a car doesn't have reported mileage, you might want to browse through to look at images, read the descriptions, and get a feel for that type of car. With some models there are only one or two cars, and if we completely hide those with no reported mileage you wouldn't see them at all.

I do agree though that we might need to start hiding cars from display if they exist for 30 days and never report mileage. But the site has only been around for around 30 days, so we'll probably revisit this idea in a couple weeks.

pb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 03:00 AM   #3
Registered Member

What about defaulting so that 0-mpg cars are hidden automatically with a note attached to the model type & year stating "23 0-mpg cars hidden" with a link to show the 0-mpg'rs?
Pontiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 03:16 AM   #4
pb

As I mentioned in the comments in the thread I linked to, some models have no cars with reported mileage. So clicking a link to see all 15 of them and getting a blank page would be misleading. As we get more data we'll flip things around so "hide zero mpg" is the default, but it's too early to do that right now.
pb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 02:04 PM   #5
Registered Member

I understand where you're coming from, but, typically if anyone is looking at those stats, its going to be to compare their vehicle to other peoples vehicle of the same make/model/year. Showing 0mpg is useless here.

However, if one were to want to look at buying another car in the short term, and want to consider real-world fuel mileage, browsing the other vehicles are certainly going to give you a real-world glance. However, again, the 0mpg data is going to be useless.

What I meant about the link showing the hidden vehicles, if there is a group with all 0mpg vehicles, just show the make/model/year with no listings beneath it, but have a link saying that there are X number of vehicles, just all are 0mpg. If the user clicks, then all cars of that make/model/year are displayed.

The other thing you could do is just set a cookie to check what the user prefs are as far as showing which method of viewing they'd like to see. No database interaction, just a quick cookie check.
Old 09-12-2008, 06:46 AM   #6

aahhhh geez....R-E-L-A-X....its a website that is provided for US to use as a CONVENIENCE! sheeesh....some people just chill....just use it for what it is and logout! then go outside chase down the ice cream man, grab an creamsicle sit down on the curb and CHILL OUT!!!
everythingzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 02:07 AM   #7
Registered Member

Dude, I'm a developer and have had HOURS and HOURS of thought trying to put something like this site into my head. Someones beat me to the punch so now I'm just outputting my thoughts for the devs to consider.

I'm just trying to post some constructive ideas and simple work arounds for some of the requests I've seen, as well as some of the ideas I've had. If the devs want me to shut up, they're more than welcome to do so.

I do appreciate this site and I KNOW as FACT how much work goes into something like this. Its free, I get MORE than what I pay for, and I can't push them to write a single line of code.

I'm done replying to messages like this.
Old 09-13-2008, 02:19 AM   #8
Registered Member

I just noticed something on here pertaining to the 0mpg cars. Mind you, it'll only work against your manufacturer, or your model, or your year of car. This doesn't work if you go into the BROWSE VEHICLES.

When you go into your cars profile, scroll right to the bottom of the screen, and you'll see your cars manufacturer, the model, and the year. Clicking on the manufacturer (My case - Pontiac) I'll see all cars on here made by Pontiac with out the 0mpg users. If I click on the model (My case - Grand Am) I see all the Grand Ams of all years entered, again with no 0mpg'rs. Clicking the year (My case - 2003) it shows me all 2003 Pontiac Grand Ams, and, you guessed it, with no 0mpg'rs.

Close enough to automatically remove the unwanted info (In my case)