Fuel from Coffee - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Alternative Fuels > Vegetable Oil and BioDiesel
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 12-19-2008, 09:21 PM   #1
Registered Member

Fuel from Coffee

Yep.
Someone noticed that coffee grounds are about 15% oils. Now they are building a test facility.

623,000 miles on original engine and transmission, using Amsoil by-pass filters and lubrication.
+Everybody knows something you don't know.
+Artists prove truth can be in forms you don't understand.

Low-Risk Option Trader
Retired Pro-Hunter featured in; 'African Hunter', by James R. Mellon III. and listed in; Rowland Ward's Records of Big Game.
shatto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 03:33 AM   #2
Registered Member

Good plan, a good amount of the bulk of our organics waste container ends up being coffee grounds. I dunno if it's as worth collecting from homes as it is from like starbucks, but seems like a good source.

I wouldn't be surprised if after processing and drying, the grounds could be used in a large industrial diesel like coal dust is. It'd probably help run the oil presses at least.

I wonder if actually the oils are necessary in the product before consumption. I'd heard somewhere that it's the oils that make the coffee taste bitter if you steep it too long. So if oils could be collected out of the coffee first that might be a good thing.

I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 04:00 AM   #3
jmf
Registered Member

http://caferacercrew.com/ this truck runs on used coffee grounds. It will probably take more energy to get the oil out of the coffee than you get from the oil. this truck uses old grounds as they are.
I have just attached a wood gasifier to my truck and run it with my construction scraps. there are many more options out there than people think.

jmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 04:39 AM   #4
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmf View Post
I have just attached a wood gasifier to my truck and run it with my construction scraps. there are many more options out there than people think.

More info please? I saw a gasifier used on Coolfuel Roadtrip once, they dumped anything and everything in it, twas very cool.
Old 12-20-2008, 07:00 AM   #5
|V3|2D

Send a message via AIM to thisisntjared
wow... how long will it be until we can run cars off our own refuse? either way i am very interested in where this goes
Old 12-20-2008, 09:24 AM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post

More info please? I saw a gasifier used on Coolfuel Roadtrip once, they dumped anything and everything in it, twas very cool.
Wasn't it a multi-fuel type hummer limo? The way they were stuffing old food into the thing you'd swear it was a "back to the future" car
Daveedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 11:02 AM   #7
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveedo View Post
Wasn't it a multi-fuel type hummer limo? The way they were stuffing old food into the thing you'd swear it was a "back to the future" car
I think it was a motorhome, and the way they used it definitely resembled Mr. Fusion.

Old 12-21-2008, 03:10 PM   #8
jmf
Registered Member

it doesn't have to be a multi-fuel, i have a 97 dodge ram 1500 running on wood. any solid biomass fuel will work.

jmf is offline   Reply With Quote