Road Trip - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 11-21-2006, 04:27 PM   #1
Registered Member

Smile Road Trip

Going to tenn for thanksgiving, Taking the zx-2 and looking for a few new best mileage readings. trip is lil over 800 miles and i'm gonna start with full tank right before i get on the highway and hoping to just make one fuel stop.

My brother asked me if i was gonna take that thing (grill block) off cause it might make car overheat. I told him if it does get too hot i'll turn heater on and pull over a.s.a.p and cut a few holes in the thing.

take care and i'll be back sunday eve with my report.

LxMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 08:53 PM   #2
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_Ryland
I did a road trip with my grill bock, altho I have a 3x4" hole in it, the only time I've ever had the temp gauge go up was when I was doing alot of slow stop and go driving in 100+ degree weather, and I think it got just warm enough for the radiator fan to kick in.
for long trips I've taken my heaviest piece of bagage and stuck it in the passenger seat to help ballence out the car, this was most noticable while driving acrose nebraska with strong cross winds, but if you don't have a passenger the theary is a good one, to ballence out the weight left/right, and move as much of it forword/to the middle.

GasSavers_Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 08:44 AM   #3
Registered Member

Good luck! Seeya on Sunday.
nonnef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 04:29 PM   #4
Registered Member

I have returned safely!

trip total is 1678 of which 1618 are my full tank and 60 mile into another one.

low fuel light seems to be not too bad, when light would come on and i fueled i'd end up pumping 9 1/4-9.5 gallons of gas. was about 340-370 at the time. this is with me, my brother and 2 boxes in trunk and i had grill blocked for trip there. got into some heavy traffic and found that my elec fan comes on at 220 and my brother gave it a good workout.

I think i know why thsee tranny seem to go out on people so much. at 42 mph trq converter locks-up and rpm's drop like shifting another gear. if you let of gas like when running up on someone then get back on the gas the trq converter unlocks and rpm's jump up. that puts heat into them and heat is an auto tranny enemy.

gotta go update my gas log now.

LxMike is offline   Reply With Quote