What is it with US drivers? - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > The Pub > General Discussion (Off-Topic)
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-12-2023, 11:25 AM   #1
Registered Member

What is it with US drivers?

I have watched a considerable number of US police chase videos, particularly the official output from Arkansas police, and I cannot get over how, on multi-lane highways, US drivers just seem to pick a lane they fancy and drive in it irrespective of the traffic around them. And I think the use of mirrors also leaves a lot to be desired.
In the UK, for the most part, we drive on the nearside and only move out to overtake before returning to the nearside. If you are driving faster than the traffic in lane 2 then you move out to lane 3 to overtake. We do get some middle-lane hoggers who won't move into the nearside lane and some less-than-average drivers undertake them on the inside. Though not in itself illegal this can lead to a charge of careless driving. And when an emergency vehicle comes up behind we move to the nearside whereas in the US it appears they just move to whatever side takes their fancy. The only time we would move to the offside is in solid crawling traffic where the lanes will split to either side to make an extra lane for the emergency vehicle to pass.