2008 Smart fortwo 400 mile review - Page 7 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 08-03-2008, 08:10 AM   #61
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazabi Owner View Post
I have confirmation my next Smart will be in next month.
it's nice to see someone w/ money not buy a fuel guzzler needlessly!

bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 12:43 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtieguy View Post
it's nice to see someone w/ money not buy a fuel guzzler needlessly!
MONEY? I live in a trailer! Seriously, it's even actually a singlewide way out in the country miles and miles back on country roads. Dead honest.

I have to liquidate to get together enough $ to pay off stuff. I just sold one of my VW's the other day. Mercedes has to go next after I strip off the Frybrid system I put on it as I think I'll lose $$ if I leave it. After that the motorhome goes - I'll get a whole $1k out of that if I'm lucky. When this is all over I'll have a diesel Jetta and 2 Smarts (possibly still have the motorhome). Any sort of nice cars I have (not listed) are inherited and will never be sold so those don't count.

BumblingB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 12:54 PM   #63
Registered Member

well i guess we in the US are rich compared to many other countries. you got more than me anyway(would-be 2 new vehicles). i haven't bought one since 1992.

none the less, "smart" choices. pun intended.
bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 01:06 PM   #64

It's just that my priorities are messed up. My $$$ normally goes into the cars, aka the term "Car Poor". Wife has learned to live with it as she knows it's the only way I'm truly happy and if she don't like it she can hit the road. Heck, that's how we got together as I went to show her my brand new right off the lot customized Toyota truck almost 20 years ago (during the minitruck movement plus I was living in Guam)
Old 08-09-2008, 04:28 PM   #65
Registered Member

I can't fathom buying that in the states.... in gas.

In canada we've got the diesel and they're becoming fairly common.

For such a small (and not really cheap) car i'd want the moon.

my two cents, not meant to criticize the buyer. I just think the american emission rules are stooooopid.

Once the house is a little more paid down I'd like to get a diesel ranger (from europe or new zealand or south america) or toyota diesel truck. 4x4's that get 30 plus mpg that exist, and are made by american auto makers. goddamned idiots they are for not offering that stuff here, it'd be the first new car i'd buy.
ryandpotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 07:05 PM   #66

12,500 MILES

It's been a great car, no problems so far - knock on wood. As you can see I've currently just dipped below hypermiler status as I need the A/C on or there'll be lots of hot air coming out of the spouse's mouth complaining about how hot it is in the car. I always commute with 2 people - we're no lightweights so that is a knock against the mileage too. For the most part I don't lightfoot it and the car still returns awesome mileage.

Coming home this evening I got a nice tailwind from TS Faye and drove 70mph versus my normal 62mph and still closed out my 46 mile commute with 48mpg.

No complaints about the car except maybe I can't impulse buy at the stores anymore - all cargo must be preplanned.

Later this week or next week I will be picking up Smart #2 - I've waited almost exactly a year. Both the exterior color AND the interior color have been discontinued due to lack of interest. Crazy me order both of them together. Sold the Mercedes to help pay for it - new owner offered me $$$$$ to install a WVO system on it. I took the $$$ as it is a hefty amount to go towards the new Smart.
Old 08-25-2008, 09:03 PM   #67
Registered Member

Cool!

For the record, there were 10,239 diesel smarts imported to Canada, model years 2005 and 2006 only.

The 2008+ smarts in Canada are also gasoline cars, like the US ones. I'd buy one if I didn't already have a really nice diesel. I've owned mine for nearly 4 years and 100,000 km.
1966 Peugeot 404 Coupe Injection
Mike T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 10:26 AM   #68
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazabi Owner View Post
I always commute with 2 people - we're no lightweights
600 pounds in a car with a curb weight of merely 1,800 ought to have a significant effect indeed, especially exacerbated by A/C usage.
Old 08-26-2008, 10:39 AM   #69
Registered Member

I would much rather that than get really good mileage on two cars. reduce the overall carbon foot print, not just the mileage on a particular car.

kind of like people that drive around the gas station to get their tank to a certain mileage before filling up. I don't do that either.

also, the weight limit for those cars is only like 530 lbs. too. I had to get that checked out too. my wife and I get close to the 500 mark which doesn't leave a lot of weight capacity for groceries.

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 11:52 AM   #70
|V3|2D

Send a message via AIM to thisisntjared
wow, sounds like you guys have found a few new fuel economy mod you can do with some work over time... my wife and i combined weigh less than 300lbs...

anyway, the storage space of the smart is what is going to stop me from ever owning one. i cant take it to the beach.