Saturn HAI! - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 02-19-2013, 12:50 AM   #1
Registered Member

Saturn HAI!

I have tried to look but haven't been able to find some pics of how to make a hot air intake for a SL2 series Saturn. I read a few posts about relocating some sensors. If anyone has some picks or a how to I am going to do this asap. Also the grill block seems simple but some photos of that would be great too. Thanks!

krazy Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 06:19 AM   #2
Registered Member

I see you are around the raleigh area. I live near the greensboro area. I have done both the WAI and the grill block. I can give you pointers and I know I have done some threads on both but it has been quite some time ago (probably about 4ish years).

the intake is easy. screw moving sensors. drill a hole in your airbox and route the heat from the exhaust manifold into your intake. definitely monitor temperature via a scangauge or something. you may also want a heat shield to keep the heat in as it is in front of the grill and cooler air is coming in.

the grill block is relatively simple. I would start with some coroplast (corrugated plastic) and cut it to size over the grill itself, zip tie it in place, keep a pair of dikes (diagonal cutters) in the car and monitor coolant temps. if you see that you are good and won't overheat, make it permanent. I actually fiberglassed the front of my car. it used to look nice.

***edit***

I just realized that some of my pictures are in my garage. just click on the link to the left under my avatar that says "frankencav"

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 02:09 PM   #3
Registered Member

On Saturns, you HAVE to move the IAT. The stock location is way up behind the headlight and you'll really confuse the computer if you start sucking hot air, but your IAT is telling the engine it's getting cool air. BAD. My HAI is extremely simple. I'll take a pic of it tonight and throw it up here. It may not last forever, but it definitely works and I've been driving with it for about a year now. I have not done a grill block and my HAI keeps temps up near 100*F once the engine is warm, which doesn't take long.

hybriDatsun350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 02:37 PM   #4
Registered Member

Ehh... I'll just do it now...

So, basically, it's made from 1.5" ABS pipe/fittings.
-One length of pipe (~12")
-One double female 45* elbow
-One male-female 45* elbow

It plugs right into where the factory silencer goes with just a little bit of sanding. In fact, you can reinstall the factory silencer and gasket at any time if you'd like.

Also, you'll want to pop out the factory snorkel that goes out toward the headlight and block off that hole (Duct tape, if you have to!).

And finally, relocate the IAT to a position up-stream of the new intake. Mine's mounted on the air-box lid, just below where the rubber intake hose to the throttle body slips on.

In the car...

Old 02-19-2013, 05:16 PM   #5
Registered Member

[QUOTE=

[/QUOTE]

Nice. Thanks! That looks simple enough. Im going get some materials.
Old 02-19-2013, 05:19 PM   #6
Registered Member

Why the heck aren't my quotes working?? All I am trying to do is just pull some of the extra unneeded stuff out but keep the quotes. I may be retarded or something lol.
Old 02-19-2013, 05:57 PM   #7
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Quote:
Originally Posted by krazy Dan View Post
Why the heck aren't my quotes working?? All I am trying to do is just pull some of the extra unneeded stuff out but keep the quotes. I may be retarded or something lol.
You're not leaving the whole quote tag in place.

Wrong:
Code:
[QUOTH=

[/QUOTE]
Right:
Code:
[QUOTH=hybriDatsun350;169320]

[/QUOTE]
(I replaced "QUOTE" with "QUOTH" to prevent it interpreting the tags, so that you could actually see them, but you would use "QUOTE".)
Old 02-19-2013, 07:37 PM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
You're not leaving the whole quote tag in place.
Got it! Thanks
Old 02-20-2013, 04:01 AM   #9
Registered Member

I am not sure why you HAVE to move the sensor. There again, I don't own a saturn. the sensor must be in the stream of incoming air (thus the IAT, Incoming air temp).

As far as temps go, they vary depending on outside temps. I usually don't dip below 100 and if I do, it is cold as ball sack outside. During the summer, on the hotteste days (90-100 degrees) it is not uncommon for my IAT and my coolant temp to be the same.

The grill block is two fold, you first get the quicker warmup (of the engine, not the IAT) and you get the aerodynamic advantage. I actually think the grill block is more advantageous than the HAI but there again, I would do (and have done) both.

All this is really moot if you don't have a way to really know what your mileage is on the fly or your temperatures. Have you gotten a scangauge 2 or ultragauge?

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:37 AM   #10
Registered Member

You HAVE to move the IAT sensor on a Saturn. In its stock location, it's nowhere near the intake air stream with the HAI installed.

On the grill block, I totally agree. It would probably help on my car, but I haven't gotten around to finding a material/mounting method that I really liked.