The new Hybrid SUV's are here! - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > Hybrid Vehicles
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 05-29-2008, 04:56 PM   #11
Registered Member

I've heard rumors that ford is considering a 4.0L diesel in the F150 as an option. I know plenty of people that would buy small and mid size trucks if they had a diesel engine. These people like me are to the point where we will build it ourselves. Many already have. I'd like to have a Volvo 240 Wagon 6 speed with a modern turbo diesel. Next winter project.

You can't tell me there isn't a market in the US. I'm not interested in Hybrids due to the battery issues. Fix that and I'll kick some new hybrid tire. But seriously, the mpg numbers really suck (excluding the Prius). An old Land Rover 4x4 with a 300D could get 35mpg. You would think with today's tech an 5000lb truck should get 45mpg.

It must be about the profit. For now I will keep my money or build my own.

Old 05-29-2008, 04:57 PM   #12
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to 1993CivicVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxxgraphix View Post
So what! They still suck. 24/32mpg?! What a joke. If GM wants to fix it's declining sales they need to do better than that.

The VW TDI is still king. Jeep dropped a 2.0TDI into a Jeep Compass and it got 55mpg. But they don't sell it in the US. I'd buy one this weekend. Are you listening Jeep, GM Ford? They must be morons or sleeping with OPEC.
There are plenty of sub-compacts that get this EPA rating, so it's not really that much of a joke. But a Jeep Compass that gets better FE than a Prius--why don't I believe you?

Car mods are overrated. Just gotta adjust that nut behind the wheel for best mpg.

Forget about World Peace...Visualize using your turn signal.
1993CivicVX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 05:03 PM   #13
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
I agree, much better economy can be had with appropriately sized and tuned diesels. Even better, diesel hybrids. I don't think it's some vast conspiracy, though; I think the consumers are not interested in buying. Good luck selling a 4 cylinder diesel full size pickup to the market in general.
Its funny you said that, it especially rings true for those over 30.

I convinced my brother to buy a Jetta TDI. It was easy diesel costs 20% more but gets 40% more MPG, well duh he was convinced. He is actually picking it up tomorrow.

But people over thirty seem to have this fear built into them about Diesel. Maybe it was all the crappy cars the US car makers put out in the 70's and 80's. Every single person who asked him what kind of car he was getting was like "Diesel? DIESEL?!?!?! why would you ever want that?!?!?!, Dont get a Diesel". When asked why they have no explanation other than "they suck".

Which is fine with me, if everyone started buying diesels then the prices would go sky high for diesel fuel.

opelgt73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 05:27 PM   #14
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxxgraphix View Post
I've heard rumors that ford is considering a 4.0L diesel in the F150 as an option. I know plenty of people that would buy small and mid size trucks if they had a diesel engine.
4.0L is a lot bigger than you were talking about before. That's going to sell much better than a 2.8L 4 cylinder.

Quote:
These people like me are to the point where we will build it ourselves. Many already have. I'd like to have a Volvo 240 Wagon 6 speed with a modern turbo diesel. Next winter project.
Those people, by and large, don't buy brand new vehicles. They're comfortable doing extensive repairs in their own yard and won't waste tens of thousands of dollars for something that won't serve them any better. They'd be stupid to do that when they can build their own for 1/3 of the price, or just repair a used vehicle without reconfiguring it.

Quote:
It must be about the profit.
Bingo!