diesel newbie here - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 10-11-2006, 05:36 PM   #11
Registered Member

Welcome Dieselphiles!

WELCOME!

I'm so glad to finally see more Diesel folks join-up. Personally, I'm a huge supporter of the Diesel engine and can see its potential. It's still hard to convince the public that they aren't the Oldsmobiles of the early 80's.

At any rate, great to see you both here, and feel free tell us the good things that Diesel has to offer.

Also, if you have any questions, any one of us is here to help.

RH77

Old 10-11-2006, 05:36 PM   #12
Team OPEC Busters!

Yup saw a post about it over on TDIclub.com

GasSavers_Brock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 05:45 PM   #13
Team OPEC Busters!

My trick to good mpg is to drive SLOW Actually I don't think I drive slow, just a lot more anticipating traffic. I view the brakes as a fuel dump pedal. I got just over 30 mpg in our Toyota Sienna van on the last tank when I was the only one driving it, my wife averages about 25 mpg.

I bet a lot of the same things apply to gassers or diesel. Oh and keeping the tires at max pressure. I know that some people are really against this, but after driving 55,000 miles I see perfectly even wear on my tires, and when I finally maxed out the van tires I saw an increase from 23 to 25 mpg. It is a bit bumpier, but I think tighter ride as well, to each their own though...

I just have to Get Darell on here now, a friend of mine from CA that has a Rav4 EV and a Prius and charges his Rav4 via solar.
Old 10-28-2006, 07:27 AM   #14
Registered Member

Another diesel here 2005 Golf gls with auto. Best mpg so far 43.6 but only
23xx miles so far so haping foe better after 10,000 miles.
golf4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 07:54 AM   #15
Registered Member

Hey golfnutt - welcome to GS.
MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 09:12 AM   #16
Registered Member

I want a diesel, tooooo.
nonnef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 05:10 AM   #17
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock
My trick to good mpg is to drive SLOW Actually I don't think I drive slow, just a lot more anticipating traffic.
That is a good thing to do in any diesel, the best is to keep rolling, I did this at lights, if you are in one of those situations where every light will change before you hit it, keep rolling slowly. My motives were more performance (get moving quicker) as diesel was less than $1 in those days. With the cost of it now, not sure if I would have another diesel again.

-Emil Faber
Spule 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 09:56 AM   #18
Team OPEC Busters!

Yes, one of my big things is timing lights. If I see them red I take my foot off the gas and coast in gear (0 diesel to the engine) or if it is further I push the clutch in to glide longer. It is a real challenge to get it right so you don't need to apply the brakes to make it though. I admit when it is busy I don't do it as much to try to avoid bothering people behind me.

There is this one light I often pass on a rural two lane that I have timed perfectly. I often have someone pass me and then I keep coasting and pass them again when it turns green, then of course they pass me again as they floor it from the green light.