100 mpg car? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 05-24-2007, 05:01 PM   #1
Registered Member

100 mpg car?

http://www.popularmechanics.com/auto...o/3374271.html

I was wondering if you have any comments on this article? Much of it is very close to being true. I hate this statement.

{There's no business case for it," says GM's Juechter. "How many people would spend $200,000 on a car that would ultimately save them a few thousand dollars on fuel over the life of the car?" That's the worst-case scenario in terms of price estimates, but there's little doubt that a 100-mpg car would cost thousands more than today's bigger, more powerful vehicles. }

After seeing how badly the Geo and every other small car has sold. You have to wonder how small of a minority we are? I drive 20 miles each way on the freeway and see only a couple of people adopting a fuelish mind set for driving. Will they continue if prices go down?

I think the price quote is incorrect and if you check GM's or anyone else who sells all over the world we could have cars that break 50mpg if we could get by all the rules in this country now at an economical price not even hybryd.

minic6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 05:47 PM   #2
Registered Member

I think if gas prices stay where they are or continue to go up, a car similar to a Geo that cost around $11-$12K and got near 50mpg would probably sell pretty well. Gas prices were too low when in the late 80's and early 90's to make the CRX HF, Geo/Suzuki Swift, and Civic VX's sell very well.

Most people don't even realize these high FE cars existed. When I tell people my old HF can get over 45mpg they seem shocked.

mrmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 06:08 PM   #3
Registered Member

I don't believe that safety requirements are the true impediment. Certainly Metros could be made today that are as light as the first generation of them, but the cost of materials such as more extensive use of aluminum and other lightweight materials would be higher, and they would certainly be built diffferently. Not only that, but there is also the mindset of people wanting cars that are fully optioned and quiet. It's a tough sell when the majority of buyers would rather be comfortable and showy rather than utilitarian and frugal.

I think, therefore I doubt.
Snax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 06:23 PM   #4
Registered Member

With the housing market so expensive here in So Cal, 50 mile (or more) commutes are not uncommon. I heard some guy complaining he was spending a thousand a month in gas commuting his F150 to work (which seemed pretty stupid to me). It would take years in gas savings to pay for a $25K Hybrid, but I think newer versions of these high FE cars would allow people to buy second cars just to get to work and allow them to have their SUVs and pickup trucks to drive on the weekends.
Old 05-24-2007, 06:37 PM   #5
Registered Member

F150 commuter boy needs a kick in the nutz.

He was kind of snickering at my old HF until he found out what kind of mileage it got.
Old 05-24-2007, 06:42 PM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theclencher View Post
F150 commuter boy needs a kick in the nutz.
Werd. VW expected the 1L prototype to cost ~$35k in limited production, and iirc, as of lately this estimate has been significantly dropped due to changes in available tech/cost. Even at $35k, over the average 150k lifetime of an American vehicle, it'll save money compared to a ~30mpg econobox provided gas stays at ~$3/gal. If it, increases, well... you know.
omgwtfbyobbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 06:45 PM   #7
Registered Member

You'd get arthritis in your hip before you got every F150 commuter down here...
Old 05-24-2007, 07:22 PM   #8
Registered Member

Non-hybrid 100mpg cars could be made at a reasonable price, but there are sacrifices that have to be made. Sacrifices that most Americans are not yet ready to make.

1) Power: obviously a smaller, more efficient, engine would result in higher mpg. 0-60 times would be well above 10 seconds.
2)Size/ Storage Capacity: making cars more aerodynamic usually results in less storage capacity.
3)Safety: well if very car on the road was under 2,000 pounds then this car would do fine, but against a larger car the results could be bad.

Distance traveled by bicycle in 2007= 1,830ish miles
Average commute speed=25mph (yes, that's in a car)
kickflipjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 07:25 PM   #9
Registered Member

lol yea the econo cars of the 80's were essentially marketed for college grads that want to buy a new car yet could only afford the econo boxes. (chevette for one) you wont belive how many people at auto shows come up to me and tell me that a chevette was thier first car, and sometimes how much they wished they woulda kept the thing for mpg wise. then thier all suprised i get 32mpg out of it...
VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 03:53 AM   #10
Registered Member

That is one of my points were being sold a bill of goods every day. One of my pet peaves is the marketing of trucks the biggest seller. Toyota is a prime example to compete they advertise the fact you can basically pull a house with your new gas hog Toyota. Same with all truck manufactuers. 95% of truck buyers are hauling 6 or 8 feet of empty space. Plus being able to pull a house, for what marketing! We need to go back to checking the box for a towing package not punish the public with things they don't need for marketing sake. This mind set must be broken first and the public educated to the facts. Before most would be willing to buy a high mileage veh.

minic6 is offline   Reply With Quote