100+ MPG CRX HF VREX - help needed! - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-25-2010, 11:56 AM   #1

100+ MPG CRX HF VREX - help needed!

I'm starting initial work on my 100+ MPG CRX with a VX engine swap. My mechanic has asked for a detailed list of what I need to start. First - I appreciate any help. Second - if anyone has parts they wish to donate, I will gladly accept anything including backups.

Here is the initial list - which I will modify over time.

* Need a clean 1988 CRX HF shell with zero rust. MUST be the early 1988 HF with pillar mounted seatbelts, sometimes referred to as the 1988 1/2 even though it's the first half.
* Civic VX D15Z1 engine and transmission with exhaust manifold, downpipe & catalytic converter included
* VX engine mounts
* VX Shift linkage
* VX engine harness
* Non-California P07 ECU with lean burn
* VX CV shafts (may be different if I use the Wagovan transmission - I need help with this)
* New 5-wire O2 sensor
* VX EGR control box
* CRX Si suspension. I know this will add weight but I would like the added stability without starting with an Si shell. The Si has steel bars in the doors which add weight, moonroof which adds weight and can increase drag, and door-mounted seatbelts.
* Oil cooler
* 195 degree thermostat. If I'm going to do all of this, running hotter means needing the system ready to handle heat demands.
* K&N air filter setup
* Remote oil filter setup. I'd like to run Amsoil in the engine with a dual filter remote system. I'd also like to run Amsoil lubricating products in every single spot I can - wheel bearings, transmission, etc.
* Roller Wave pistons from TheOldOne.com. These give more swirl and better mileage. Not cheap, but I'll get there eventually.
* Honda Insight or VX wheels with moon discs
* LRR tires - need recommendations
* Full spoilers all the way around
* Belly pan (will be custom)
* Carbon fiber hood or aluminum?
* Quick-release passenger seat
* Racing seats for lighter weight
* VX wheels or lighter
* LRR tires
* Helium filled tires
* Antenna delete
* Rear wiper delete
* SuperMID
* Plastic or composite fuel tank like the Insight. May use an Insight fuel tank if possible

* Honda Civic Wagovan transmission. I need to find out if the Wagovan transmission is hydraulic or not. What I want is the 6-speed (5-speed plus granny gear) out of the Wagovan so I can get the best gearing. Wagovan was manufactured 1988-1991, so it should be similar to the CRX transmission. Apparently I need a 1989 or later - have seen reports that the 1988 is not the same as the 1989.
* Custom gearing for transmission

* HF transmisson from 1989 or later apparently. Need the gears out of it especially including final drive.

* Conversion harness - buy one from Rywire?

* Lightweight racing seats, which I really have no idea about. I'm very open to suggestion. I'm 6'3" and all upper body so they must be as tall as possible.

* New carpet kit for the floor. Let's face it, 20+ year old carpet in a vehicle that's likely going to have seen 100,000+ miles is not going to be pretty. Plus I should be able to save a few pounds when I put in new carpet and peel out all the junk underneath that's accumulated. Suggestions welcomed, especially from racers - need carpet but want to save weight.

* New fuel tank system. Anyone know a custom tank fabricator out there? Stock is 10-12 gallons on CRXs. I'd like to get 15-30 gallons and do not really want to use fuel cells - want to have a single tank period. Likely will involve losing the current spare tire holder.

* The best head gasket I can find. I appreciate recommendations here. I don't intend on needing a new one for a long time.

The vehicle will likely be stripped down to the frame, wiring completely redone, etc. Should I have the monocoque frame stripped and powder-coated, or does anyone have other ideas for the finish? I'm thinking of a red, white & blue paint scheme, complete with stars. Think Bicentennial.

What else do I need to get started? And again - donations to this project are sincerely welcome. I can use ANY parts you might want to donate. Right now my funds are virtually nonexistent for this project and I'm looking to scavenge anything I can.