A ligit sensor that can improve FE 4-8%??? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 08-11-2008, 04:39 PM   #1
Registered Member

A ligit sensor that can improve FE 4-8%???

"Sensata Technologies has introduced a new gasoline direct injectionsensor which, when used with multi-port fuel injection systems, can improvefuel economy 4 to 8 percent."

Has anyone seen this product from Sensata? They make all kinds of sensors and claim that this one used in conjunction with multi-port injection systems will improve FE. I know that direct injection gives better FE (not sure of the %'s though). Could this work if I put it on my MPI Vibe?

http://articles.directorym.net/Sensa...m-a877332.html

Would this work similar to just putting a resistor on that tricks the system into running lean ... or would it change the spray so that it is more effecient like a direct injection system?

Future MODS = Removable lower grill block, Clear fog covers, 195 deg. therm, Rear spoiler, Full belly pan
Markmysite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 08:02 PM   #2
Registered Member

is it just a better, fuel pressure gauge for direct injection engines? helping to improve FE on engines that are direct injected via more accurate fuel pressure measurement?

Old 08-12-2008, 08:15 AM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000mc View Post
is it just a better, fuel pressure gauge for direct injection engines? helping to improve FE on engines that are direct injected via more accurate fuel pressure measurement?

I'm not sure exactly. I'm going to call them to discuss. It sounds like it's something you can add onto a multi-port injection to make it more efficient.
Future MODS = Removable lower grill block, Clear fog covers, 195 deg. therm, Rear spoiler, Full belly pan
Old 08-12-2008, 08:53 AM   #4
Registered Member

This product appears to be for OEM direct-injection systems; the easiest way to get it will be to buy a new car with direct injection.

You may be able to retrofit direct injection to MPI systems in a few years, but it'll take a lot of work -- new intake manifold and heads, etc. -- and the payoff probably won't be worth the trouble unless you drive a lot.
Old 08-12-2008, 10:03 AM   #5
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Why is the text allrantogether likethespacebarisbroken on that site?
Quote:
Sensata Technologies Offers Pressure Sensing Solutions for Gasoline Direct Injection System
Okay, so it's for DI systems...

Quote:
Sensata Technologies has introduced a new gasoline direct injectionsensor which, when used with multi-port fuel injection systems, can improvefuel economy 4 to 8 percent.
...but now they say it's for MFPI. "Gasoline direct injection sensor" seems like gibberish to me (it senses the injection? No, it would be named after whatever it's actually sensing, and it would be the version of that sensor made for use in a GDI engine), but even if it wasn't, what would a DI sensor be doing on an MPFI engine?

Quote:
These new multi-port fuel injection systemscreate air and fuel mixtures in the combustion chamber rather than at thefuel intake valve. Regulating the amount of highly pressurized fuel withinthe combustion chamber requires the high precision and robust sensingavailable with Sensata Technologies' gasoline direct injection sensor.
Oh, I see...they're just using MPFI to mean DI, which means they have no clue what they're talking about.

Attleboro, MA, where the company is located, is right near me. The next time I'm in the area, I wonder if I should pay a visit and try to talk to someone in person and find out what's really up.
Old 08-12-2008, 12:40 PM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
Why is the text allrantogether likethespacebarisbroken on that site?

Okay, so it's for DI systems...

...but now they say it's for MFPI. "Gasoline direct injection sensor" seems like gibberish to me (it senses the injection? No, it would be named after whatever it's actually sensing, and it would be the version of that sensor made for use in a GDI engine), but even if it wasn't, what would a DI sensor be doing on an MPFI engine?

Oh, I see...they're just using MPFI to mean DI, which means they have no clue what they're talking about.

Attleboro, MA, where the company is located, is right near me. The next time I'm in the area, I wonder if I should pay a visit and try to talk to someone in person and find out what's really up.
Ok I'm glad you are as confused as I was ... lol. How can you put a direct injection sensor on a multi-port without changing the lines, etc.
Old 08-12-2008, 04:19 PM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
holycow.....you could stop over and make like you are thinking about buying one and want more info and.............
Old 08-12-2008, 04:55 PM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasUser View Post
holycow.....you could stop over and make like you are thinking about buying one and want more info and.............
Yeah, yeah, yeah ... and then update us on what the darn thing is and if it would work on MPI systems to boost our MPG.
Old 08-12-2008, 05:27 PM   #9
Registered Member

It's kinda like being in 1976 and hearing about this marvellous new lambda sensor gizmo... anyone managing to save gas on a '76 carbed car by using an o2 sensor? didn't think so.

I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote