Am I going about this the wrong way?!? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 04-04-2012, 04:50 AM   #1

Am I going about this the wrong way?!?

I've focused my fuel economy efforts on my daily commuter vehicle... my 2005 Suzuki Boulevard C50 motorcycle. It's an 805cc, liquid-cooled, wet clutched V-Twin. I'm currently averaging 51.3MPG.

I've been "running some tests" with fuel additives, specifically StarTron, Sea Foam, and the Lucas Oil stuff.
For my "tests," I've maintained my riding habits. I had an established baseline for additive free riding running E10. I only get my fuel from a WaWa station near my house or from the Shell provided Navy Exchange station near my work. Both provide 87 octane E10.
First "test run" was using StarTron. Duration of this test was 1 bottle of StarTron. I calculated out how much to add, initially, based on my 4 gallon tank. On each successive fill up, I added based on 3 gallons going in as I always fill up at this point (which coincides with my low fuel light coming on). Once the StarTron was gone, I ran for 10 straight E10 fill ups. (This gives me the A-B-A test concept.) Results... No noted increase in efficiency. Cost of the additive outweighs fuel savings.
Second test run was with the Lucas stuff. Same routine, except I was, obviously, adding the Lucas stuff vice StarTron. This test lasted through 2 bottles of the Lucas additive. Results... No noted increase in efficiency. Again, cost of additive outweighs fuel savings.
Third test, same agenda, using SeaFoam. Duration, 1 bottle. Results... Same as first 2 tests.

Now... aside from the gas price variable, can anyone think of anything I might have done wrong that would give me negligible improvement? Based on my "tests," using additives is simply dumping even more money into my tank.

SpeedKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 06:39 AM   #2
Site Team / Moderator

Re: Am I going about this the wrong way?!?

Additives don't usually work. They may work in the short term if your fuel system is gunked up, but once its clean you don't usually see continual gains.

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 09:50 AM   #3
Registered Member

Yeah, additives only help by cleaning things up.
Is the 87 octane the recommended octane? If premium is, you can try running that. Gains should be likely. Not spectacular, but enough to cover the price difference.
trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 11:00 AM   #4
Registered Member

btw...NAPA has sea foam on sale this month for...$6.48!!! not sure if it's nation wide tho.
bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 07:11 AM   #5
Registered Member

It's actually pretty straight forward to making a sea foam replacement.

http://hildstrom.com/projects/seafoam/index.html

I mixed up a batch with some ATF I had around, for a fuel stabilizer(1oz per gallon fuel, btw). I am going to try it on the Sable eventually.
trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 03:10 AM   #6

Yes, 87 is the recommended fuel. Anything over 87 would be a complete waste since the bike only has a 9.4:1 CR. Minimal chance for pre-det at that low a CR.

Given the fact that I have seen no improvements with any additives, and the fact that fuel doesn't stay in the bike's tank for long, the fuel system is pretty clean.
I think I'm done throwing money at additives.
SpeedKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 01:07 PM   #7
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo

I would try some Torco GP7 1cc per three gallons and or Acetone 1oz per three gallons.
The Torco lubricates the fuel system and top end and improves combustion.
Acetone absorbs water and improves combustion with better fuel vaporization.

I tried Lucas and StarTron and my engine ran worse.

JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote