Am I the only one not hitting the mark - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 06-13-2007, 08:16 PM   #1
Stay true to the Game!

Am I the only one not hitting the mark

Am I the only one that's not meeting or exceeding the EPA? I've scanned a few vehicles in the Garage and everyone is at least %10 above the EPA ratings. Me on the other hand I'm 3.5% below. Granted my drive to work is only 4 miles long, so this could be a huge factor I think. I pumped up my tires from 36 to 40 and installed the scan gauge. According to the Scan Gauge I'm currently averaging 19mpg. I've been using the gauges, coasting with engine on, and turning off the vehicle at stop lights. Hopefully my future mods will bring me to at least 25mpg.

popimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 08:19 PM   #2
Supporting Member

it will come trust me. just work on it every day and it will show some sighns

Old 06-13-2007, 08:32 PM   #3
Stay true to the Game!

I don't do the engine off thing in the morning, but in the afternoon it's really hot here. SVOboy suggested that I ride a bike but I have to take a bridge over an Interstate, and there's a no pedestrian/bike sign. The only alternate route is another bridge that would take about 12 miles to get to work. I guess I'm screwed until I have a longer commute. The best I've done was 26mpg when I drove about 200 miles to Louisiana going 60mph with no AC.

popimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 08:37 PM   #4
Registered Member

I would have to agree with theclencher. If you have a safe route (read: sidewalk) that you can use, this could be the best way to get to work. Save the motor-equipped vehicle for longer trips. Riding a bike, you will be getting the best mileage of anyone. 0 gas. An added side benefit is that you will improve your health! What isn't to love??

Four miles really is too short of a distance to see good mileage from though. I doubt if there is anything you can do to significantly improve it. Keep in mind though, even at 19 mpg, you are only using approximately 2 gallons of gas per week. People with excellent mileage who drive long distances are getting just that -- excellent mileage. Overall fuel consumption for them sucks though. YOU, even with your below EPA mileage are the winner. Using less gas is the main objective. The best way to do that is to live closer to work. Most people on this board would gladly (at least I would anyway!) trade their mileage for being able to work closer to home. It makes economic AND environmental sense!!

And don't be afraid to dust off the old bike, get the tires pumped up, and get a good workout every once and a while!
Erdrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 08:44 PM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by popimp View Post
Am I the only one that's not meeting or exceeding the EPA? I've scanned a few vehicles in the Garage and everyone is at least %10 above the EPA ratings. Me on the other hand I'm 3.5% below. Granted my drive to work is only 4 miles long, so this could be a huge factor I think. I pumped up my tires from 36 to 40 and installed the scan gauge. According to the Scan Gauge I'm currently averaging 19mpg. I've been using the gauges, coasting with engine on, and turning off the vehicle at stop lights. Hopefully my future mods will bring me to at least 25mpg.
popimp,

How about instead of "turning off the vehicle at stop lights" try "shift gear from D to N?" Maybe the gas you use for the engine restarts is more than the gas you're trying to save by turning the engine off. Then when the light turns green, pop the gear from N to D, wait for the transmission to naturally shift from N to D, then smoothly and slowly accelerate away?

Also you mention "coasting with engine on." Is this coasting done on the highways or streets?
Old 06-13-2007, 09:10 PM   #6
*shrug*

I still say you should get a scooter!
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 09:29 PM   #7
Registered Member

4 miles? go go gadget scooter!
VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 05:20 AM   #8
Registered Member

Don't worry, your not the only one. You can view all cars and there was quite a few... 4 miles is tough, especially since your probaly not getting on the freeway for those 4 miles.

bbgobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 05:27 AM   #9
Registered Member

4 miles and you're never going to warm the engine up enough to get into the good FE range. You could get an engine block heater (EBH)that might give ya about 10% but with 4 mile that a really tough commute. Keep after it you'll see results in time.
zpiloto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 05:42 AM   #10
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbgobie View Post
Don't worry, your not the only one. You can view all cars and there was quite a few... 4 miles is tough, especially since your probaly not getting on the freeway for those 4 miles.
Try driving 2 miles to work in the dead of winter.... I got 17 MPG out of a 2002 Saturn SC2 that got high 30's on the freeway. Too short a distance to get the engine temp up.

But a 4 mile drive is better than 40, 50+ any day!

davidjh72 is offline   Reply With Quote