Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 04-13-2007, 07:44 PM   #61
Registered Member

Me too

Quote:
Originally Posted by UfoTofU View Post
I've ALWAYS wanted a Subaru Justy (the AWD model)

Little tiny tin can with AWD, now wouldn't that be fun?
Me too! I looked for one back in College and couldn't find one that wasn't worn-out (a bit rare too).

Now we have the Suzuki SX4

RH77

Old 04-15-2007, 11:34 AM   #62
Registered Member

I was thinking that it would be cool to modify a Justy so that the front was driven by the gas engine, and the rear was a separate electric drive system. If it had about 15 hp, then you could use it in electric only as a NEV. In longer range driving, you could use it for acceleration boost, regen braking, 4wd capability, etc. The EV part would need some sort of transmission, though, which makes it more complicated... Anyway, just some thoughts swirling around in my head.

Old 04-17-2007, 03:43 AM   #63
Registered Member

Dawt

Quote:
Originally Posted by theclencher View Post
Similar thoughts with AWD Tempos...
How about the even more rare Diesel AWD Tempo. They made only about 800 of those IIRC...

RH77
Old 04-17-2007, 08:50 AM   #64
Supporting Member

RH77 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by rh77 View Post
Me too! I looked for one back in College and couldn't find one that wasn't worn-out (a bit rare too).

Now we have the Suzuki SX4

RH77
I like the aesthetics of the SX4, but it's MPG, though "OK", still SuX4 to me.

Never could get into the idea of the Justy. The Subaru Brat was much cooler, IMO.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 09:05 AM   #65
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill in Houston View Post
Man, that Opel is so sweet looking. Beautiful curves....
I read that the Opel sports coupe thing was designed by the same guy who designed the 'vette. That was about '68-'70 era. There's a definite similarity to the '60's 'vette.

Now driving '97 Civic HX; tires ~ 50 psi. '89 Volvo 240 = semi-retired.
brucepick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 02:39 PM   #66
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Toecutter View Post
If I were afflicted with that horror later in my life, I'd have no choice but to accept it and try to laugh at it as best as I could; it certainly doesn't sound as if it would be easy though. We're all slowly dying as soon as we're born, and after all is said and done we all wind up in the same state of being. Just another one of those quirks found in humanity that I just find to be funny, horrific as it really is. I, just like anyone else, could eventually suffer from it, and not a damn thing I'd be able to do.
Knock off the BS, justification for your blunder, and be a man and apologize. No amount of BS'ing is going to justify your making light of Parkinsons...if you get it and you want to laugh at yourself, to right ahead, but I won't be laughing with you, as I would be SENSITIVE of your condition. ;-)
MorningGaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 05:01 PM   #67
Registered Member

not gonna get into that cuz i dont care, if he wants to think that way let him.

but i have a serious question:

why does everyone seem to want AWD? to me it would mean more things to break, tiny bit more friction and a bit more weight...
VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 07:32 PM   #68
Registered Member

yea i hate hate HATE polittically correct people.

and yea especially around me (Illinois: flatter than a board)i really cant see the need for 4wd or awd. unles your a complete tard on snow then you will still manage to put it in a ditch. i have 2 manual tranny vhelcles both rwd ones a car and one sa small pickup. yea sure they slide around (most of its my "accidently" dumping the clutch and turnign a tad to sharp) and i have never EVER gotten stuck. except once but that was my fault cuz there was no where to park while i cleared this guys driveway from 8" of snow so i had to park in some deep stuff. but 10min of shoveling out snow from under it and i was on my way (mind you this was in a 1980 chevette rwd with illegaly bald tires) personally i liek rwd on snow more because im used to it, fwd seems weird to me cuz you turn to correct and the front just slides.... or spins
VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 08:42 PM   #69
Supporting Member

theclencher -

Quote:
Originally Posted by theclencher View Post
I too am puzzled by this "need" to have 4wd, that is primarily manifested in the pickup/SUV craze. I'm durn near in Canada, we get lots of snow and ice here (ask redsit!) and I get around fine all year with plain ol' FWD, one-legger diff, and worn all-season tires. Mind you, I did get stuck a few months ago because I went and lowered the Lambo and tried to go where I shouldn't have but that's my own doing; I know a stock-height FWD would motor right on through.

Re: sad diseases: sometimes I do think the political correctness thing has gone a bit overboard; certainly one shouldn't make light of a person's ailment in a way that makes them feel bad but then on the other hand- it depends on the individual- that person might make light of it him/herself. Depends on their temperment I suppose. Eh, I don't think Toecutter was all that out of line but then we are generally a pretty clean bunch here.
I think it depends on your life experience. If I have a loved-one suffering from a specific ailment, then it's not gonna be funny to me. It's easy to step on land mines when your conversation is in a public space occupied by literally hundreds of people with different POVs.

Prediction : If GasSavers becomes more successful, we will probably become less civil and lament the good old days.

Regarding AWD : Ibid. For example, I know that Subaru's "market niche" is AWD, but I wish they would make some FWD or RWD cars that got great FE, because I would like to see what those pseudo-VW boxer engines could do without the extra drag.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 06:28 AM   #70
Semi-retired OPEC Buster

Snow tire to the rescue

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteOwner View Post
not gonna get into that cuz i dont care, if he wants to think that way let him.

but i have a serious question:

why does everyone seem to want AWD? to me it would mean more things to break, tiny bit more friction and a bit more weight...
I grew up in the mid-west with balding all-seasons too. I moved to the west and with driving in the mountains I started thinking that maybe a 4 wheeler would be good for the family truckster and our travels. Then I bought a set of real snow tires. OMG!!! The traction is unbelievable. It was BORING driving around. Stop, start, up and down hills. Had to be totally obnoxious before the car would slide around.

My new conclusion, 2wd and snow tires will take care of my situation. Less drag, weight and you can put a decent set of summer tires and not worry about getting stuck in the parking lot when skiing.

Oh and a set of chains for when the going gets really tough.

BeeUU is offline   Reply With Quote