CMAX mpg - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 12-17-2012, 01:15 AM   #11

I have 1500 miles on my C-Max and 70000 on my Lexus RX 400H hybrid. Neither comes real close to the EPA estimates. The only cars I've owned that actually come close have been BMW's. I have a 40 MPG average with the C-Max so far. I expect bettor in the future, but not up to 47 MPG. The reasons being:

1. Break in - Ford is saying 2k - 3k. It took about 5 K on my Lexus to get up to a consistent reading.

2. Summer gas - April - November in California. I get about 2 MPG bettor with it during summer.

Main problem to not getting 47 MPG:

1. Without a doubt my main problem is short trips after engine has cooled. My main travel is a 7 mile 1 way trip starting with a cold engine. Shorter is even worse. I get my 40 MPG in this mode. Experimenting I get over 50 mpg if I do a round trip 14 mile on the same route without stopping. I recently did a 5 mile cold engine start to Costco and got 33 MPG. I shopped about 20 minutes and returned home (warm engine start) and registered 61 MPG.

With my driving conditions I should get a Plug-In - I would probably goe months between fill-ups. That is my plan.

nicipoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 03:21 AM   #12

RE: engine getting cool.

Consider a full/partial grill block to keep the engine bay warmer

Ciderbarrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 11:07 AM   #13

I think if I lived in 'flat' country I could get 47mpg or better, but between the cold weather, and an area of hills, I don't think it is possible.
Pugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 02:54 PM   #14
Registered Member

Yes but you can also use hills to your advantage, gravity is great for economy! There's a hill near me, I can travel almost 6 miles before I need to accelerate again!

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 02:40 AM   #15

Just took delivery of my C-Max SEL on Wednesday night and just took a trip of about 75 miles, averaged exactly 50 mpg! Trip was mostly 55 or below, but there were hills along the way (can't avoid them here), stoplights, etc. It is 50 degrees today, no wind. If you want to get an accurate reading of what you're getting, my advice is to use the left-side up and down arrows to go to the readout that has average mpg in the middle and shows the EV as well as your real-time mpg. Then hold down the OK button in the middle and let it reset. Do a test ride and see what you get. My previous car was a hybrid so I know how to drive one to get the most out of it, feathering the accelerator and taking it easy on the brakes. Best advice is to take your foot off the dang gas pedal as much as possible, even just releasing the pressure after you get up to speed can send it into EV mode. If you drive it like a Shelby Mustang you are guaranteed to have poor mpg.
Catmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 10:33 AM   #16

When I travel to town 12 miles down hill, I get up in the 70's, then head back home, I'm in the high 30's on arrival. If I get away from this area, and make a 200 mile trip, I end up with 45 to 47 driving all highway at 62mpH.
Old 12-29-2012, 08:41 AM   #17

"Draigflag" I do the same thing, but when you have to go back up the same hills, you can cut your MPG in half. they don't coast to good up hill.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:53 PM   #18
Registered Member

Yes true.

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote