Interesting thread.... - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 02-05-2008, 02:52 PM   #1
Registered Member

Interesting thread....

I started a thread at d-series.org, a honda forum, to get a different perspective on turning m car off on long coasts, particularly on a long downhill stretch. I wanted to see what others thought of leaving the engine off on this coast, and how it would affect the tranny.

Its funny to see how others who do not have our mindset think about this.

Its just a shame how far others take it. It gets pretty serious at the end.

http://www.d-series.org/forums/showt...21#post1132721

Thought you guys might get a kick out of it.

lawnguybri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 03:05 PM   #2
Registered Member

Well the truth is that there are allot of people educated about cars almost exclusively by hearsay. And while I agree that there may be an additional wear penalty with EOC, most of the rest of what we do while driving actually reduces wear. So perhaps it's a net wash.

That said, I've built motors and all manner of other things on cars, and while I don't see that what I do while trying to hypermile really adds to my maintenance requirements - I'm also prepared to do >90% of it myself.

I think, therefore I doubt.
Snax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 03:44 PM   #3
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to Hateful
unfortunately, most people are just like that site. If I mention trying to save gas I'm told I should drink tap water instead of bottled or stop drinking beer.It can only be about money and nothing else. I get the same treatment for recycling the beer bottle and water jugs. I've learned to keep my face to face conversations as shallow as possible,to avoid those confused looks that usually lead to angry fits.
Hateful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 04:05 PM   #4
Registered Member

I dunno, maybe its time for me to do the opposite. Too long ive done the same, too fixed in the mindframe that this is the way people are. Maybe we need more face to face.

Gets me thinking...maybe i should start a conversation.....
Old 02-05-2008, 04:59 PM   #5

I agree - more face to face is a GOOD thing.

However, I agree that if it's an automatic you shouldn't power off. You can ruin a good Honda tranny that way when done repeatedly. You might try switching to a manual tranny (this isn't too terribly hard or a mechanic can do it) instead.

Hot-tempered replies aside, the underlying idea is correct - hypermiling with EOC in most automatic tranny vehicles is not usually wise IMO. YMMV.
Old 02-06-2008, 05:31 AM   #6
Registered Member

See, reading the owners manual, I can flat tow, as long as its under 50 mi in distance, and under 35mph. What im doing is basically the same thing mechanically, as long as i keep the speed in check.

I still think im going to look into this a little more before i incorporate this technique, and limit its practice when i do.
Old 02-06-2008, 06:07 AM   #7
Registered Member

thats for emergencys not ment to be an every day ocurrence. (liek liek a spare tire, those things wear down liek mad)
VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 06:23 PM   #8
Supporting Member

lawnguybri -

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnguybri View Post
See, reading the owners manual, I can flat tow, as long as its under 50 mi in distance, and under 35mph. What im doing is basically the same thing mechanically, as long as i keep the speed in check.

I still think im going to look into this a little more before i incorporate this technique, and limit its practice when i do.
I agree with VetteOwner. Saturn automatics can be flat-towed forever, so they are good "scout ship" cars for motorhomes. If your manual says "for short distances", then I think it is not compatible with the technique.

EDIT : This was my millenium post!

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 06:50 PM   #9
Team GasMisers5!

I would agree - I think that the 'short distances' thing basically means, that it wears the transmission badly... but... it should happen so rarely (once or twice in car's lifetime), that, overall, it isn't a problem.

On my old commute I would do 22 miles total, engine off for 50-65% of the time. In an auto, I would have used up the '30 miles' allowance in no time.

By the way... On that last thread, the guy is right about the starter motor being killed. I used to EOC like crazy, but with a manual - bump start all the way (actually, spin the engine up with ignition off, the switch on ignition, like a Prius). Prior to this I killed a starter motor. EOCing on my current auto box (and probably going way over the 30 mile limit already has already given me some times when the starter complains (seems a little slower) when starting... So I do much less EOCing just now!

Team GasMisers5 - #1 for first three rounds of the original GS Fuel Economy Challenge
Miles displaced by e-bike since 1 Jan 2008: 62.6 (0 kWh used)
Hypomiler
landspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 10:29 PM   #10
Registered Member

From all the time I have spent on Honda forums, I have learned at least ONE thing: D-series people have REALLY bad attitudes. In all honestly, you probably would have gotten a MUCH friendlier respose at, say, k20a.org (even though you don't have a K-series). It's just a good thing that you didn't make a typographical error and somehow leave a stray capital 'B' somewhere in your post. I have to admit that all of this leaves me feeling a little strange about actually swapping a D-series motor into one of my cars for once.

Well, I have to say that hypermiling and EOC are really not my thing. I'm just trying to build the most eonomical car that I can just driving it normally. But to each, their own, I guess. As far as transmission issues, I would just say to drop in a manual transmission and be done with it. You won't destroy it doing EOC. And you will get better mileage in the first place. Furthermore, used SOHC Honda transmissions are a dime a dozen. And going from auto to manual is pretty straightforward.

StorminMatt is offline   Reply With Quote