MPG rally in Washington is a conditional 'go' - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 01-10-2008, 05:33 AM   #1
Registered Member

MPG rally in Washington is a conditional 'go'

I sent a one page document to the city of Lacey parks department that sponsors the annual energy fair. The board met Tuesday night and was interested in hearing more about the rally. The fair and rally is to take place in early May.

Basically it is a loop of about 100 miles where participants start/stop at the fair. Initial fill before the start and final fill within the last 2 miles of the finish, report gallons used and it is posted and ranked according to % over EPA combined ratings as well as raw MPG. It is done on the honor system so there are no prizes for top numbers, I hope to have some door prizes by sponsors though.

There is to be an educational element as well to explain what hypermiling is, explain the various terms used, and what the average Joe can do to get better mileage is his existing rig.

******If you all could spread the word that would be great.*********

I'm hoping to get at least 10 participants of gas, hybrids, diesels, maybe even motorcycles as well.

bones33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 01:32 PM   #2
Registered Member

Beatr911, I was at the meeting and I'm excited about doing an economy run. Give me a call at 360-791-8376. Let's get together--I'll buy coffee. Time's flying.

Graeme
Lacey Mayor

Old 04-23-2008, 12:23 PM   #3
Registered Member

Any update? I'm in Vancouver, WA, and would like to do it, if possible.
fowljesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 02:35 PM   #4
Registered Member

I'd be in for that. My car is stone-stock and not a likely choice for a hypermiler, but I'm consistently getting around 30% over EPA (2008 numbers). . . .which reminds me, I need to start updating that gaslog.
Old 04-24-2008, 09:22 PM   #5
Registered Member

Apparently it's set to happen next Saturday, here's the web site.

It'd be interesting to hear any other details, like the route or exactly how we're supposed to register. But failing that, I guess you show up on the 3rd and wing it.
GasSavers_Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 07:26 AM   #6
Registered Member

Hope you and others can make it!

Please be fueled up and present by 0900 to register (free) and hang around after to answer questions from the public (bring a chair) and talk with hypermile guru Wayne Gerdes. Goodie bags for all participants.

It's pretty informal. You will be given route directions, etc to run the course. Lacey, Ranier, Rochester, Oakville, McCleary, Shelton, Olympia, Lacey.

Hope to see you there!
Old 05-03-2008, 05:09 PM   #7
Registered Member

The rally was a lot of fun! I've never been to the fair even though it's right next to where I work... the electric races and displays were very interesting. The goodie bag was impressive, and Wayne gave an interesting speech. I blew past the 106 mpg Insight, and arrived first at the start/stop line, although apparently it wasn't that sort of rally.

Unfortunately I didn't get a score because I only managed to put in .7 gallons on the way back. My car has always had problems accepting a consistent amount of gas each fill-up, and I've never really figured out why. But on the way home I stopped by the exact same pump I used to fill up at the start, and put in another 1.5 gallons, for a total of 2.25. I filled up the opposite way for the 3/4 gallon fill, so it must have been the angle of the pavement, however slight. I'll have to keep that in mind when I'm filling up in the future... maybe carry an angle gauge for a while until I figure it out.
GasSavers_Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 01:04 PM   #8
Registered Member

Randy, I hope you can get this figured out for next year. I'd love to see what you can do!

Thanks for participating. Just having all 10 of you show and drive made this a real success. I've heard nothing negative about this event except for the bad reporting from KING 5 television, but that wasn't real news story anyway just sensationalization.
Old 09-28-2008, 05:54 AM   #9
Registered Member

It'd be cool to meet Wayne, but less cool to try to compete against his Insight :-).

Sounds like a fun time.
itjstagame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 06:17 AM   #10
Site Team / Moderator

Darn, I got my hopes up... I saw Washington and I assumed Washington, D.C. I would take a vehicle to a DC rally.

-Jay

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote