One Windshield Wiper Instead of Two - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 05-05-2008, 09:23 AM   #1
Registered Member

One Windshield Wiper Instead of Two

I once saw a car that was all customized out. Instead of having 2 front windshield wipers it just had one big one that was secured just off center of the windshield. I cant seem to find a picture of an example on the net or I would provide one.

Do you think there would be any benefit to a hypermiler car to have just one big windshield wiper?

Are there weight savings? Power savings? Cost savings in replacement blades?

Wayneburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 09:56 AM   #2
Registered Member

I have heard that if you replace your main one with a slightly larger one and just delete the passenger one that you will have less coeficient drag.

even better than that is to have a switch that will keep the wiper vertical when not in use. I haven't done this but have heard that is pretty easy.

one thing to think about is that you won't see a lot of FE gains from doing this and you may need to check to see if that is legal in your state or area.

I would start with a grill block or a WAI (warm air intake) you will see much better gains from that. I started her not quite a month ago at 30mpg and am now doing around 35. my gas log doesn't reflect this because I just did the WAI on my car and still have a few hundred miles before tanks end.

*edit* also there is a lot of time, effort, and thought that would go into making the one wiper thing work right and look right.

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 10:10 AM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theclencher View Post
I'm predicting AT LEAST a 50% bump in fe.
Heh, it's like sitting in a peach orchard and pointing out a blackberry that's 500ft up a cliff... lots of low hanging fruit all around before you waste energy on that blackberry.
I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 10:20 AM   #4
Registered Member

1 wiper

I used to have a 1991 Mercedes that had a single wiper centered...kinda cool design...but seemed a bit over engineered for what you get...occasional use. :-)

Work on the other things... and leave the "speed racer" stuff to the teenagers who think it looks like an autocross car.

McIntyre's First Law: "Under the right circumstances, anything I tell you may be wrong."

O'Brien's First Corollary to McIntyre's First Law: "I don't know what the right circumstances are, either."

rvanengen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 10:38 AM   #5
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
I've seen the one wiper thing on many a cheezy ricer, along with huge ridiculous wings, lots of stickers, and any number of other modifications that do not provide any function and look terrible.

I cannot imagine it being worthwhile under any circumstances. A fairing to cover your wipers, if they're not hideaway, would probably yield a much greater improvement while merely looking cheezy instead of silly.