Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 05-31-2007, 10:39 PM   #1
Registered Member

Send a message via MSN to GasSavers_Red
Pay as you pollute

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/au...llute_car.html

Its a UK System called Eco Log. Using your OBDII port it will calculate your CO2 emissions realtime, then send them off to some master server. Kinda cool

Quote:
That's because new technology, which could form the basis for a UK-wide 'pay-as-you-pollute' charging system, has been presented to the Department for Transport (DfT) by software firm Lysanda.

Using equipment which calculates exhaust emissions on the move, it would be possible to create a charging scheme based on the amount of CO2 emitted from a car's exhaust, rather than the distance travelled

Auto Express has been exclusively shown the new technology working. Using equipment which calculates exhaust emissions on the move, it would be possible to create a charging scheme based on the amount of CO2 emitted from a car's exhaust, rather than the distance travelled.

According to Lysanda, the DfT is currently investigating the device, which can calculate a vehicle's real-world CO2 emissions while it is being driven on the road, store the results and send them electronically over the mobile phone network.

Former motor industry engineers at the Essex-based automotive software company have developed the system, called Eco-Log. Rather than use expensive exhaust probes, it plugs directly into the car's On-Board Diagnostic (OBD) system to calculate engine emissions, then shows the results on a dashboard display. Designed primarily with fleet operations in mind - Lysanda is set to trial the system with supermarket giant Tesco - Eco-Log is initially being used to help large companies calculate their 'carbon footprint'. Fitted with a tracking device, the set-up can be used by fleet managers to monitor driving styles, which can then help to cut CO2 emissions, improve fuel economy and reduce costs.

"There is certainly the potential for Eco-Log to be used for road tolling," said Lysanda commercial director Simon Harris. "We are currently talking with the Department for Transport about the development of a policy agenda, and are aiming to get the technology used in a road charging application."

Although the DfT would not comment on the project, a spokesman said: "The primary focus of a road pricing plan is to reduce congestion, but if the knock-on effect is an environmental benefit, that is welcome, too."

Lysanda is also aiming to license Eco-Log to car makers. "Ultimately the system could end up as a dashboard device, integrated with the vehicle's satellite navigation," continued Harris. Such a set-up could cost as little as ?500 per vehicle, and with instant graphical displays of CO2 emissions on the move, would act as a very visible way of helping motorists to drive more economically.

Lysanda has developed the system for diesel engines for now - a petrol version is the next step.

Old 05-31-2007, 10:48 PM   #2
Registered Member

there is no way they could mandate that on something like my 65 cobra

falcon64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 05:12 AM   #3
Registered Member

Nope, because it would calculate off set values. If you did something to improve emissions like start using ethanol, you'd still be charged off the old values. I'd rather have the expensive exhaust probe than some stupid algorithm scheme. And satellite tracking? It's nobody's business but mine where I go. I'll vote against anyone that tries to implement something with satellite tracking on my car. Let them download the emissions data once a year and assess it with the car tags.
Telco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 01:33 PM   #4
Registered Member

Way too big brother for me. It's bad enough that the government knows where I live and what I do for employment. As much of an environmentalist as I am, this is just completely ridiculous.
repete86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 02:38 PM   #5
Registered Member

Send a message via MSN to GasSavers_Red
I like the concept, a real time calculation of pollution that could be retained by the ECU. Then instead of having a master server that it reports to, when you get smogged, since the ECU is already hooked up to the smog machine, it reads off your current amount of pollution and who knows you get a credit if you are under whatever a target is for your vehicle or you get a fine if you are over
Old 06-01-2007, 05:17 PM   #6
Registered Member

It doesn't matter if it's streamed into the computer or stored and dumped. Either way it's the government building up information on their subjects. It has the potential for draconian consequences, and frankly isn't worth the risk. If you let the ends justify the means one little bit at a time, it won't take long for control to build up more than it already is. If the government adopts bs like this, I'll stop driving. I've already given up my cell phone because of GPS being mandatory by FCC law now (they're tracking you for your safety), and their tendency to reprogram phones to transmit the audio the mic picks up even when the phone is not in use. The GPS system is owned and operated by the US military.

Sorry, but all of this technology stuff is starting to scare me.
repete86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 04:38 AM   #7
Registered Member

If the govt wants to charge on the basis of CO2 emitted, they just need to put a carbon tax on fuel purchases. No sense using a lot of goofball technology. IMHO.
Old 06-02-2007, 05:17 AM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by repete86 View Post
Sorry, but all of this technology stuff is starting to scare me.
Starting!

zpiloto is offline   Reply With Quote