PCV jar not working as expected - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 11-20-2005, 11:57 AM   #21
Registered Member

Re: One 25 mile trip and there's already Oil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Timion
Quote:
Originally Posted by rh77
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy
Indeed, I need to set this up too. I have a feeling my engine is more likely to need it that some others.
I just installed mine using the air compressor water collector (removed the filter) and I can see it working already. It was super easy to install - I just cut the PCV hose, installed the screw-in hose connectors for the ends, and plugged-in the hoses into the nipple ends (then I put hose clamps on each end for a good secure connection). I already have a visable amount of residue after a 25 mile trip. I can't believe this junk goes directly into the intake and basically burnt into the atmosphere -- and gunking up the works. This should be high on the list of things to do for mods. I have pics if anyone is interested...

RH77
Care to do a write up?
I actually used your How-To as a guide using the Cambell Hausfeld moisture collector...

RH77

Old 11-20-2005, 12:54 PM   #22
*shrug*

Damn pyramid quotes, disable

Damn pyramid quotes, disable them Matt!

SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 01:03 AM   #23
Registered Member

PCV fume separator

Hey group. I installed the campbell hausfeld compressor water separator on my vehicle. The installation was a cinch. Bought the filter at Walmart for 13 bucks. Went to the auto supply and bought proper hose and two screw on fittings to attach the hose. Installed the filter with the flow arrow aiming to the vacuum source(not the PCV) and have already seen results. In 400+ miles, I have found a brownish product of oil and stink associated with crankcase smell. No water, but product looks lighter than oil and darker than fuel. Looks like about every second refuel I will have to empty the jar. Cost about 22 bucks to install. Engine seems peppier. Mileage increase? Don't know yet. But the visual and seat of pants feel are good enough results for me. My vehicle is a PT Cruiser with 35,000 miles. No notable oil consumption. I figure the residue is oil diluted by wasted fuel bypassing cylinder combustion. Has anyone ever had their "sludge" tested?
One great thing about the cambell hausfeld separator is the way it works. The incoming flow enters the jar area in a swirl via a screw fixture in the separator head to direct the incoming charge to spin. This swirl helps the incoming vapor to contact the jar wall. This contact brings wet particals together to fall heavy to the bottom of the jar while the air/fume passes through the separator to the vacuum source in the engine. Only disappointment is its' size. Remember, the arrow points to the vacuum source. When the head is removed, it is visible why. The incoming charge enters the jar and leaves through the filter. I left the filter on mine. It hasn't posed a problem yet. For this contraption to work 100%, any oil level accumulated has to be drained before reaching the filter or the engine will receive a healthy dose of the residue and either misfire and smoke at the exhaust or worst yet, die.
I will be monitoring fuel economy. I figure there will be improvements in my case. I hope this info will help others waiting to install one on their vehicle. ken
GasSavers_KenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 07:41 AM   #24
Driving on E

Hey Ken, It's amazing how

Hey Ken,

It's amazing how much this thing works. I have had the parts in my garage for a few months now and I've just been to lazy to put them on my car. Can you post a picture of the screw in hose connector you used? I want to make sure I'm using the right ones.

On an interesting side note, my HOnda n600 (1971) seems to have something like this built in. There is a tube that connects the cylinder head to the airbox and under the connection there is a small petcock valve to let oil out. Maybe something like this was much more helpful on carburated cars.

About mileage, the jury is still out on that one. At the very least you're keeping that crap out of your intake manifold and cylinders. It is cleaning the air and not promoting carbon buildup. This will help your enging run much longer and more efficiently.

Oh, and welcome aboard. Hope to see more of you around. There is someone else on here with a PT Cruiser (chasgood) but he hasn't posted in a while. Feel free to send him a private message and ask him if he can help you with your specific vehicle.
Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 03:29 PM   #25
Registered Member

PCV Jar hose connectors

Hey Matt. Those connectors come in two designs. One type is a screw on with a serrated swedged end that allows the hose to be pushed on and the serrated cuts will keep the hose from sliding off. A proper size hose will not come off by itself. The other is a screw on tube style connector that has an enlarged end where a hose can slip on the tube and then a clamp installed to hold the hose on the fitting. The enlarged end gives the clamp an area to squeeze the hose tight on the tube and not allow the clamped area of the hose to slide off the tubed fitting. A trip down to the friendly auto supply can show the differences. Either will work fine. Expect to pay as much as 3 to 4 bucks per fitting requiring two for the project. If anyone wants pics of my install I will gladly add them to this thread. Ken
GasSavers_KenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 02:02 PM   #26
Registered Member

my turn

after reading more and more about this catch can i read Matt's wright up and went out and got all the stuff i need, going to set it up next couple of days between PCV valve and intake, but on my V6 on the other side there is another hose that comes out of the valve cover into the other side of the intake, but no valve. I don't understand what the point of the valve is on the one side if the other isn't the same. I'll check my manuals tonight, but untill then, any thoughts?
chesspirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 02:41 PM   #27
Driving on E

Re: my turn

Quote:
Originally Posted by chesspirate
after reading more and more about this catch can i read Matt's wright up and went out and got all the stuff i need, going to set it up next couple of days between PCV valve and intake, but on my V6 on the other side there is another hose that comes out of the valve cover into the other side of the intake, but no valve. I don't understand what the point of the valve is on the one side if the other isn't the same. I'll check my manuals tonight, but untill then, any thoughts?
My car has another tube coming off of the valve cover going to the air tube BEFORE The throttle body. Some people install their catch can on this tube, others on the PCV tube, and some on both.
Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 04:30 PM   #28
Registered Member

I guess we'll see how the

I guess we'll see how the one works, and if it's good then for under $25 i'd be willing to install another one.
Old 01-26-2006, 07:07 PM   #29
Registered Member

Wow!

Okay, bought the stuff, worried a little bit because the collection 'tank' is plastic, but it seemed pretty heavy duty. Bought the fittings and hose clamps and got so excited I installed it in the parking lot of Starbucks while my Fiance was inside (she happens to work there). Even with a small hiccup it took me just over 5 minutes! Just to review, this is the line that is going from the PCV valve to the intake, not 100% sure what part (it was dark) so, based on everyones comments i didn't expect to see/feel much difference.

I also topped off the oil to almost perfect. I may be crazy but the thing started better and hit it's idle faster, i don't know why but it did, doesn't make sense i know. Anyway, drove around a little bit on the streets and was really worried about it (actually more worried i screwed it up somehow) anyway, hit the freeway and things seemed smoother (placebo???) going home, uphill, felt like it had a tad more torque/held speed better (placebo??) but i got home after a 35 mile drive on the freeway 60-65 mph and parked it. Grabbed a flashlight and popped the hood.

There is stuff in there!!!

Just for reference, i am a nut and happen to have over 291,000 miles on my original engine so some things are to be expected, but i really didn't expect this much this fast, i kinda pride myself on my vehicle being in good operating shape, but y'know what, this rocks! I just installed a safeguard of sorts! For me, this is definately worth it already.
Old 01-26-2006, 08:54 PM   #30
Registered Member

pictures!!!

my engine!

the setup

This is what collected after just 35 miles on the freeway!