Plug in MPG? - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 03-01-2017, 10:36 AM   #11
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryliebler View Post
After trying to enter my most recent tank, as a starting point, I am inclined to simply give up! This site computes miles by the difference of odometer readings and gallons are what is input meaning that the only possible correction would be to input "adjusted" gallons (adding the electrical input equivalent). Even if everybody did this, it would still look like those who can use more electricity are better "hypermilers". I'm quite sure the car does the right thing in recording as EV miles miles driven in EV mode (even if the ICE is on) and HV miles when the HV mode is selected (even if battery power is used) I know this because I start most trips in HV mode and use no EV miles even though I use some battery power during warm up for example. I also have dramatically inflated my EV miles by selecting EV mode to kill the ICE in a downhill glide beginning at 62MPH. I've changed how I enter the high speed glide and now after confirming ICE off I shift to N then go back to HV mode. Unfortunately N doesn't allow regen but at least the miles are scored more appropriately. Regrettably the KW use reported by the car is only whole numbers I'm going to deploy my Kill-A-Watt to get better data on charge input. FWIW The spread sheet at Prius Chat records and computes the "right stuff" to compare hyper-miling success against a peer group of first gen PIPs
If the Prime behaves as you say, I do believe Toyota screwed up and gave me another reason not to "upgrade"!
The Priuschat spread sheet might be the only thing out there for properly recording PHEV fuel economy that isn't model specific.

The Prime display is the the way it is because that is how the Prius display works. Somewhere along the way, someone felt knowing how many 'EV' miles a person got in a plain old hybrid would be a got thing. It's not. At best, it is a useless metric. At worst, it misleads a person into an inefficient driving style.

trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote