Post your shift points - Page 5 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 11-18-2008, 07:09 AM   #41
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
Instead of feathering the gas pedal for slow acceleration, have you tried accelerating how you want and then lifting off the pedal to induce a shift, then easing back onto the pedal again?
If you were talking to me, I have tried it. The thing is, it doesn't seem to respond well to it. What ends up happening is, if I accelerate a bit faster it seems to think I want to continue doing it _forever_, and only if I let off COMPLETELY, it'll eventually just shift very abruptly and hard and the revs will drop 500-1000 rpm.

The other reason I don't accelerate faster is I drive 100% city and I don't want to beat on this car because if it blows up (it has 158k on it), I am boned. I have no idea how well it was maintained before I got it (at 155k). I just need it to last a bit longer and I am dumping it.

GasSavers_Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 08:09 AM   #42
|V3|2D

Send a message via AIM to thisisntjared
i just found out in the subaru i am looking at getting i will be shifting something like every 11mph, which is pretty tall, but it gets rough if i shift any quicker...

in my si i would be going 30mph in top gear hahaha. the fit gets rough if im under 40mph in top gear. the subaru will need to be going 45mph to be in top gear....

Old 11-18-2008, 08:22 AM   #43
Registered Member

I aim for:
2nd 2000
3rd 1600
4th 1500
5th 1500

I shift higher in 1st due to the huge difference between 1st and 2nd on this honda, and because my clutch is dragging which makes shifting into 1st a challenge sometimes, and 2nd usually fights it enough that the car slows down before I get it into 2nd. Which typically results in WAY low of a RPM by the time it's finally IN gear.

*Hopes to get a CRX before this clutch goes completely*
Dalez0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 08:25 AM   #44
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Unfortunately I have to drive an automatic now incase my girlfriend she ever has car troubles and needs to drive my car.
I had that problem, but I got a manual honda anyways when I wrecked my POS automatic Taurus. Then, I taught her the basics of driving it 'in case of emergency.' She was not happy.

Then, go figure, a few months later I'm out of town and her car dies. I'm gone for over a week.

When I got back.... lo and behold she was proficient at driving the manual. Now she's seriously considering dumping her automatic Maxima for a manual car.
Dalez0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 10:05 AM   #45
Registered Member

In the absence of outside influences I generally go into the next gear so it starts at 1000 RPM. I get out of first quickly as Pale stated, also second. Third in my VX is right at 20 MPH per 1000 RPM so I may go higher in third then directly to fifth.

I don't really watch the tach, just stay in a gear that is low enough so if I went to any greater percentage of accelerator pedal it really makes no difference, without going below 1000 RPM. My ideal range is 1200-1800 RPM but I can tell when that range is maintained by speed and sound without paying a lot of attention to either the speedo or tach.

My driving situation includes many traffic lights, something like 50+ in a 32 miles round trip, so I have to adjust my driving tactic in order to maintain enough speed to keep in the range of light timing, as well as not aggravating all the other drivers by accelerating too slowly. Both of these reasons require acceleration greater than what I would think would be ideal.

Recently my off the beaten path routes have been under construction and I have not used them, because they grind the pavement off the road and there is a lot of debris that can cause damage to the front end or windshield.

regards
gary
Old 11-18-2008, 04:13 PM   #46
Registered Member

2500, all shifts. Higher if I am not driving well...
Old 12-05-2008, 07:47 PM   #47
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to GasSavers_w9awx
I don't have a tach in my car. What I have been trying to do is just engine sound and shift as soon as I can without bogging down the engine. I am guessing about 1500rpm.
1.5L 5spd
GasSavers_w9awx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 07:53 PM   #48
|V3|2D

Send a message via AIM to thisisntjared
Quote:
Originally Posted by slurp812 View Post
2500, all shifts. Higher if I am not driving well...
same thing with me. as soon as i begin to hear the turbo spool i shift. and that is right around 2500 in each gear. coincidentally that is when the owners manual says to for each gear but by mph. shifting any later than that can sometimes be a little too fun
Old 12-06-2008, 05:06 AM   #49
Registered Member

Usually 1-2 2600
2-3 2500
3-4 2500
4-5 2300

unless I'm accelerating uphill then it's 100-200 more in most gears so as not to get too bogged down. I'll often not bother with the clutch beyond 2nd gear. It gets more than enough use coasting all the time that I give it a rest when I don't really need it.