The Festiva - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 12-23-2006, 07:06 AM   #1
Registered Member

The Festiva

I've just been lurking for awhile. I just updated my gas log. The Festiva is doing quite well. In 4500 miles I've had no problems and averaged 48.09 mpg.
My best tank has been 53.78 mpg and my worst (this past week) was 44.69 mpg. The car is saving me over a $100 a month in gas (it'll pay for itself in less than a year)! Cold weather definitely kills my mileage, but over 44 mpg isn't to shabby for winter gas, cold weather and relatively little effort as far as driving technique to save gas. I'm going to try and make a coroplast grille block over the holidays as it takes it forever to warm up on cold days. A block heater would be nice too (Santa are you listening?).........

Old 12-23-2006, 08:51 AM   #2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraig
I've just been lurking for awhile. I just updated my gas log. The Festiva is doing quite well. In 4500 miles I've had no problems and averaged 48.09 mpg.
My best tank has been 53.78 mpg and my worst (this past week) was 44.69 mpg. The car is saving me over a $100 a month in gas (it'll pay for itself in less than a year)! Cold weather definitely kills my mileage, but over 44 mpg isn't to shabby for winter gas, cold weather and relatively little effort as far as driving technique to save gas. I'm going to try and make a coroplast grille block over the holidays as it takes it forever to warm up on cold days. A block heater would be nice too (Santa are you listening?).........
Kraig, you're doing well. You must have just bought your car? $1200 bucks?
A heck of a deal. I've been around GS for a couple months.

Try www.partsamerica.com for a block heater. I bought mine there for $18.

CO ZX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 08:52 AM   #3
Registered Member

Sounds like a good little car. I bet it will save you a lot of money over the years. I bet the parts are a lot cheaper than honda and toyota parts.
GasSavers_James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 08:53 AM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Excellent! the grill block should help fuel economy a bit too, so it's a double benefit. My car currently has a full grill block, and still has troubles warming up in the cold.
Old 12-23-2006, 10:45 AM   #5
Registered Member

I've had it on the road since the middle of September. I bought it for $995. I picked up a complete running spare motor and tranny for $50! I should be good for many years as they're supposed to be quite reliable. There's one running around with 475,000 miles on it...mine only has 194,000 on it. Just broken in well
Old 12-23-2006, 03:06 PM   #6
Registered Member

Averaging 47+mpg is a Ford Festiva is amazing (especially without a scanguage)! I see your car has A/C. Does it have the power steering option too? What are your driving techniques?
Peakster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 03:40 PM   #7
Driving on E

Man... you guys are making me regret my Honda Fit purchase.
Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 08:36 PM   #8
Registered Member

Those Festiva's are great little cars. I miss mine dearly.
psyshack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 08:03 AM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theclencher
I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Festiva- I like 'em!
Ive been looking for a clean Festiva ever since I turned mine over to the wife and daughters. They had the poor car wrecked, scratched up and otherwise in undriveable forum in no time. I put over a 100k miles on mine. Turned it over to the ovary's. And in less than 30k miles it didn't have a piece of straight sheet metal left on it. Ended up selling it for $300 bucks.

On a high note. I haven't been impressed with Yaris. But I haven't been over whelmed with warm fuzzy feelings about my Civic. With all the Civics warranty issue's Ive been shopping around. Yaris came to the top real fast with its Festiva like quality's. It really is the modern Festiva. And its a Toyota! Win Win right? Wrong. To get a Yaris trimmed out like my top of the line Festiva was is almost 14k. Granted it comes with air bags, abs and such the Festiva didn't have. Yaris cost almost twice what I paid for Festiva. Its the old,,, if you don't own stock in K-Y when you walk on a yota lot,, you will when you leave.

So Im still looking for a worthy replacement for my dearly loved Festiva.

Lesson learned. Never let the Ovary's drive a car you at some point hope to get back. So to date. No ovary has ever driven my Civic. And I ask it for forgiveness when one has to ride in it.
psyshack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 10:48 AM   #10
Registered Member

hey Kraig

Nice update on the car.

Quote:
The car is saving me over a $100 a month in gas (it'll pay for itself in less than a year)!
That's serious savings. What were you driving before?

I was spending about $700 CDN a year in repairs & maintenance on my 89 Accord before I took the leap into Fireflies. They (surprisingly) turned out to be the most trouble-free cars I've owned, so I've also saved quite a bit of money since making the switch (not to mention the Blackfly gets almost 2x the mpg as the Accord).

MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote