Tire OVERinflation...it really works!!! - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 09-11-2006, 03:29 PM   #11
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
But when they blow from a puncture they will really make a big noise much like a high pressure bicycle tire. Probably shread the tire into pieces too! But what the Heck - go out with a big BANG!

JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 04:10 PM   #12
Registered Member

Eh, I've had two tires blow out on me after they developed weak spots in the treat that expanded/wore past the rest of the tread, as well as a complete wheel/drum fly off a spindle axle at ~60-70mph. No biggie.

omgwtfbyobbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 05:11 PM   #13
Registered Member

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha No Biggie!! I Love It!! Badda Booom!
Old 09-11-2006, 06:06 PM   #14
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanGeo
But when they blow from a puncture they will really make a big noise much like a high pressure bicycle tire. Probably shread the tire into pieces too! But what the Heck - go out with a big BANG!
Maybe that would actually be good for the people I occasionally see driving around on totally flat tires.

Cheaper than a remote pressure monitoring system.

My neighbour drove arond town on a flat for long enough to damage her rim and cause the car to stall - automatic!
MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 06:38 PM   #15
Registered Member

Yeah I saw a girl in the real estate office downstairs drive her car until the tire was completely flat which took several days - left rear which she should have noticed - eventually she destroyed the tire one night when she left work. Ahhhh if only they would be more sociable I would have offered to inflate it for her.
Old 09-11-2006, 10:42 PM   #16
Registered Member

Hi krousdb

You said about excessive tyre wear with overinflation - ?and in my experience, I would respectfully disagree, as would the San Jose police department I would expect.?
http://www.officer.com/article/artic...on=19&id=27281

Over-Inflating - Causing rapid wear along the centre of the tread.
http://www.national.co.uk/products-tyres.asp

Overinflated tyres-
# Causes more wear in the centre of the tyre.
# Reduces the tyre's grip.
http://www.smartdriver.co.nz/Articles/Tyres.htm

HIGH TYRE PRESSURES. Over inflation is also highly undesirable with risks from blow out, uneven wear and a harsh ride.
http://www.tanvictyres.co.uk/pages/tyre_info/law.htm

Over inflation reduces the ability of the tyre to absorb road shocks, resulting in a much harsher ride. In fact, excessive over inflation may lead to impact fracture, or other casing failures. Over inflation will also cause excessive wear of the centre of the tyre
http://www.bridgestone.com.au/tyres/...care/facts.asp

Over-inflation
Over-inflation has resulted in the central tread area being forced into contact with the road causing rapid centre and worn shoulders.
http://www.dunloptyres.co.uk/ourTyres/car/tyreCare/

Over-inflation causes tyres to run hard, more vulnerabe to impacts, less grip due to reduced area of contact with the road and faster wear in the center of the tread.
http://www.michelin.com.sg/car/car_cat_tips.jsp#16b

From these sites that all say that overinflation will result in less grip and more centre tread wear.

Ime sure that police article you sited had a good motive behind it but I would rather go with advice from the tyre companies themselves and leave the cops for busing the coke dealers.
onegammyleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 11:00 PM   #17
Registered Member

you think 40 psi is dandy? wait till you hit 60 psi, just don't hit that pothole! well I hit ones many times at nasty angles and my tires are still going on their originals! And yes these tires have quite a long history...

i can't wait to start a fresh set, and start from really high pressure from the beggining. I'm sure my tires will last WAY longer than what I had these for.
Old 09-12-2006, 02:08 AM   #18
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onegammyleg
Hi krousdb

You said about excessive tyre wear with overinflation - ¨and in my experience, I would respectfully disagree, as would the San Jose police department I would expect.¨
I have had high pressures in my tires for over twenty years. I have never had a blowout, nor have I experienced uneven wear, nor have I experienced any problems with traction. Hopefully we can agree to disagree about these points. YMMV of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onegammyleg
Ime sure that police article you sited had a good motive behind it but I would rather go with advice from the tyre companies themselves and leave the cops for busing the coke dealers.
Wow, another point to agree to disagree upon. I would much rather go with the advice of highly trained drivers who routinely take thier cars to the limit.

krousdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 02:46 AM   #19
Registered Member

Hi krousdb

So , are you saying that these multibillion $ tyre manufactures dont know what they are making , or are they just lying , either way ..you got to do something about this scandle before someone gets hurt.

PS ,.i hope this overinflation issue isnt about going form 25 to 35psi.
35 is not over inflation , but 60 or more ide consider over inflation.
onegammyleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 08:50 AM   #20
Registered Member

Hmm,
I don't see a scandal here. I just pointed out an article and conveyed information about my experiences with overinflation.

And after reading through your earlier post, it appears the we actually do agree on the subject.

Quote:
I would guess that 50% over maximum would still be safe
Yes, I agree with you . So in my case, with a 44psi max sidewall rating, 66psi, we both would agree, would be safe. My tires are below 66 psi.

krousdb is offline   Reply With Quote