Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-13-2010, 10:20 AM   #1
Registered Member

Trying To Pick Out Tires

Hello all,

I'm relatively new to the forum, I've lurked around a bit reading articles and trying to learn a few things but only recently joined.

I'm in the market for new tires. The last couple of years I've been using aggressive all seasons for the winter, and performance tires during the summer on my 15" wheels. Starting in September, I'll be commuting approximately 3,000mi per month so I'm looking for a long lasting touring tire that will help me achieve better fuel economy.

I'll be purchasing these for 14" Civic HX wheels I've had for a while but haven't been using. OEM spec is 185/65/14 - I plan on going 175/65/14 for something a little thinner.

I've been looking at what's available in the size I want, and I've narrowed it down to these two tires:

Pirelli P4 Seasons with a treadwear of 760 and great reviews:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....rtnum=765TR4P4

Kumho Eco Solus HM KR22 - Treadwear 740. Fairly new, not many reviews, but designated as a low rolling resistance tire:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....num=765TR4KR22

I like the reviews I'm seeing from the Pirellis, and judging by some of the more detailed specs (actual tread with, total height, etc) It almost seems as if the Pirelli would be just as low in resistance. The Kumhos are a bit cheaper and designated as LRR, but there aren't any reviews with a significant amount of mileage on them.

Ok, enough rambling. So, what do you guys think? Any experience with either of these tires? Any advice/insight is very much appreciated. Thanks!
Nick.E.Beans is offline   Reply With Quote