VX vs. Insight? - Page 6 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 11-03-2007, 09:16 AM   #51
Driving on E

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
Good stuff, Matt. Watching for the "official" message...
Well, I just "officially" got the money from the bank. In a few hours I'll be giving it to the previous owner.

Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 10:25 AM   #52
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to 1993CivicVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadziasman View Post
Good decision, Matt.....if you just love to work on elderly cars!

My 92 VX just needed its clutch master cylinder replaced. I bought a used OEM clutch master cylinder from a 95 DelSol off ebay for $9 shipped. It seems I'm always working on my VX since it has 166K miles now.
What the hell!?? I just had my master cylinder replaced. Mechanic charged $100 for the part and $90 for the labor. But I wasn't in a position to find one and wait for shipping. He took care of it in less than 24 hours. But how do you get one for basically the cost of shipping?

Car mods are overrated. Just gotta adjust that nut behind the wheel for best mpg.

Forget about World Peace...Visualize using your turn signal.
1993CivicVX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 12:43 PM   #53
Registered Member

That looks like my car, but much cleaner!
That's about how much I paid of my car. I just filled up and am still getting incredible mileage (esp for a CA VX). Last fillup, 55 mpg! Yehaw!
I haven't gotten a chance to do the conversion yet, but I'm thinking it better get me in the 60mpg range!
Gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Timion View Post
Recently I posted about me wanting to buy an Insight for a number of reasons.

Read thread here

It has become clear to me that Insights have lots of issues... issues with the catalytic converts, IMA battery packs, and a few other small things. The only problem is that repairs costs an arm and a leg, and the only people who will actually do the work are the dealerships. It's almost impossible to find a mechanic comfortable working on a hybrid.

so, the Insight (A decent one) will cost about $7000-8000. We're looking at 50-60 MPG... possibly more if I do highway driving, which I don't.

Found a 1992 VX (160k on motor) within a 10 hour drive for $2600.

here is a thought... buy the VX... take the z1 engine out of my frankencivic and sell the shell. Take the VX rims off of the frankencivic and swap for the rims/wheels on the VX now. Keep the z1 engine in my garage until I need to replace it. i'll be losing some money on the frankencivic sell, but that's assuming it'll sell anyway. Besides, having a spare engine isn't bad, is it?

Meh... this whole decision making process sucks...

With a VX, I KNOW that if something breaks I can fix it myself... or it can be done cheaply at a shop. With an Insight... not so sure. A new Cat for an obd1 Civic VX would be cheap. Besides, I already have one here... thanks Bunger.

Cost wise, it makes perfect sense to go for the VX. I'm starting to think that it makes sense emotionally too, as I wouldn't have to worry about little gremlins in the VX as much as I would the Insight.

feedback appreciated.
garyhgaryh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 04:23 PM   #54
Supporting Member

matt, I would definitely go with a vx in terms of reliability and cost efficiency.....but if this insight were a 5spd, I would jump on it!

http://allentown.craigslist.org/car/452795692.html

frank
budomove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 04:25 PM   #55
*shrug*

Franky, how's lyfe? Why don't you buy it,
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 04:25 PM   #56
Registered Member

Wink Buy good used parts, install them yourself and save $$$$

Well Jacinto,

Here's the story. I don't buy new unless I have to. Some guy on ebay priced his auction incorrectly and I won the clutch master cylinder and its reservoir for $1.76 plus $7.50 for shipping or exactly $9.26.

As to labor, again I don't pay someone to do it if I think I can do it myself. This repair was pretty easy to do. Next time before you pay someone to do a repair, ask one of us to help. We'll guide you through it and if one of us lives close enough to you, that person might help you out and ask you to pay it forward.

I enjoy working on cars (lol !!!!) Boy, I am I cheap! Of course, I blame my mom because she took me to Shopper's World, Sears Outlet and many other discount stores when I was growing up. How am I supposed to shake off that kind of conditioning!
jadziasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 04:44 PM   #57
Supporting Member

Heya Benji, I am moderately super, and yourself? I hope to reside just below you on the bike mileage list soon, when my place of work becomes close. I will be doing about 15 miles a day, rather than the subway. I now commute 70 miles a day from queens to connecticut on most days. Still video editing, shooting, etc. Ad agency work, very illuminating work. They have the power to do good, just as much as they do evil, it appears. There is Hope.

I am not up for a 5spd conversion right now...although I did just surprise myself by rebuilding the front calipers on my hatch. Not hard, once you figure out the right way of doing it, I will explain if anyone wants to know

I will do the timing belt/water pump b4 the big chill i hope. The last water pump, purchased at autozone, leaked a little over the summer. I'm gonna replace it just to be on the safe side.

Ben, how much of a pain was your 5spd conversion? Wish I had the dough to get an insight, although I may get a vx at some point during the next year.
budomove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 04:57 PM   #58
*shrug*

Cool beans on the commute! I don't have a commute right now, so I'm not racking up any displaced mileage, but when I'm home on winter break I'll get some more.

The 5speed conversion sucked, but it would go easier now that I've done it,
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 05:13 PM   #59
Driving on E

for $3200, I'd almost buy that insight and sell it for $7k
Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 11:26 AM   #60
Registered Member

Insight all the way!

I've owned my insight for a little over a month now, and with my mixed city/highway commuting, 60 mi round trip daily- I've been average 84 mpg. I haven't had the chance for a extended highway trip, but I'm confident that 100mpg isn't pie in the sky. The VX is great, don't get me wrong, but the insight is in a class of its own. Curb appeal, top notch aero, and providing you can find a nice low-mile one owner example, that helps asuage the hysteria about cat explosion and IMA melt down. Also, re-sale value should factor into the equation, and seeing the trend of gas prices in the last two weeks, the future is bright for the insight... Am I the only twisted guy out there that gets a perverse satisfaction the higher gas prices go? The looks on the SUV owners when I gas up are priceless when I say how far I can go on 10 gallons of gas... People that used to question its styling are now asking where I found mine and if I'd sell it. Maybe $5.00 a gall gas is just what this country needs

whychug is offline   Reply With Quote