What Mod Next? Larger Tb/wrap Header? - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 10-09-2008, 12:38 PM   #11
Registered Member

Sorry i just wanted to clarify that the header wrap doesnt improve the fe, as for the throttle body i drive like an old lady and dont get above 2500 like ever just figured more air the better.

as for the fan yea already have the electric fan it comes on at like 205 is that a good degree

OTHER FREE MPG THINGS TOO

95CHERJUST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 12:54 PM   #12
Registered Member

yea i wont do header wrap it will just rot them from inside out, as for the TB im still not sure on that yet

OTHER FREE MPG THINGS TOO

95CHERJUST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 08:24 PM   #13
Registered Member

another no on the TB. the only time a larger tb helps is WOT at high rpm, unless youve done alot already to help your engine breathe, it might not even help at all.
the feeling of increased throttle response from a larger TB is in perception only. with a larger tb opening the throttle 25% way feels like opening a stock tb 30% or so.... because thats what its equal to in air flow. anyone that likes this throttle response would be better served stabbing the gas pedal a little harder and faster.

i've been there done that... few years ago,modded an 89 camaro about as fast as one could be w/ stock heads and no power adders. larger TB was the biggest waste of money i've had on any vehicle mod ever. i think i actually got worse mileage with the big tb. larger tb makes it more difficult to modulate the throttle because it lets more air in faster, twice as bad in an overpowered vehicle. i was always touching the throttle, tring to back off, coasting, getting on the throttle some...

big TB = bad idea
Old 10-09-2008, 08:25 PM   #14
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95CHERJUST View Post
yea i wont do header wrap it will just rot them from inside out, as for the TB im still not sure on that yet
Yep the wrap will ruin the header, because the header gets so hot that it will just erode.
civic lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 05:35 AM   #15
|V3|2D

Send a message via AIM to thisisntjared
Quote:
Originally Posted by civic lover View Post
Yep the wrap will ruin the header, because the header gets so hot that it will just erode.
... no i dont think thats it. the header wrap will hold onto moisture which will rot the header.
Old 10-10-2008, 10:47 AM   #16
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisntjared View Post
... no i dont think thats it. the header wrap will hold onto moisture which will rot the header.
I read some where that because the header gets so hot from the wrap it can't cool down enough, so the header is some what molten which makes it erode. You are correct too. It does hold on to moisture.
civic lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 11:08 AM   #17
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to dkjones96
Moisture means it depends on where you live. Here, humidity is regularly under 30% most of the year and I can tell you with utmost certainty that the wrap isn't holding on to ANY moisture at operating temps no matter where you are. So it's only a problem in moist climates I'd assume.