Why is my fuel consumption so much less than others??? - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 03-28-2021, 10:28 AM   #11
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simply_Someone View Post
I try to upshift right before the turbo kicks in on the Jetta. I will try to push it to this limit a little quicker and see if it decreases my consumption--there is a lot of rev hang though, and I don't know if this uses fuel or just tries to burn up what lingers.

By design the ioniq should perform better with my commute than a prius, however I'm worried the high MPG Fuelly contributors are those that have weird suburban 45mph highway commutes and my open road driving would set me up pretty low. The Kia Niro has the same drive train and the distribution sits close to but below EPA estimates.

I had assumed a phev would separate engine on miles from battery, but I guess that would be messy to separate hybrid recharge miles and engine miles.
A little boost won't hurt. I use to have a turbo Sonic automatic with a lifetime MPG a little over 37. I would try to keep the intake pressure around 0(ambient) when possible. Figured that reduced pumping loses. It would also return better fuel economy on higher octane, but not enough to cover the price difference here; 25 cents was the break even point.

I've heard the Ioniq responds better to hypermiling than the current Prius. Those high efficiency results could be people with slower drivers, or people that just figured out how to get the most out of the car no matter what. I would think a DCT would do better at highway speeds than the eCVT in Toyota's hybrids. The Niro is less aerodynamic, and maybe heavier.

CleanMPG did a steady speed vs fuel economy for the Ioniq Blue, and got 58.3mpg at 70mph. 2017 Hyundai Ioniq Blue - Speed vs FE | CleanMPG Those numbers were with using cruise control. At higher speeds, the gap between hybrid and traditional car efficiency gets smaller, as the hybrid has the engine running more often. You likely want see the EPA range for EV miles at those speeds; Car and Driver only got 18 miles at 75mph. https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...d-test-review/If do go PHEV, using the grid energy for lower speeds will mean more miles per charge.

Maybe Hyundai does break out miles by mode somewhere; not familiar with them directly. The Prius Prime doesn't, or it does it the same way the Prius does. Counts all miles in which the engine is off as EV. For the Prime, that means it is counting miles not done on electricity from the plug.

If you can separate the EV from gas miles to just track the gas economy, Fuelly can do that, and good for you. Most people with PHEVs here don't, so they have inflated MPG figures that ignore energy from the plug.

trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 08:10 PM   #12
Registered Member

I've tried to search to see if anyone else is doing this and haven't seen anything.

I have a 4 mile commute; in the morning I can use the block heater at home but I have no place to plug in at the open parking lot at work.
So, I've been trying to use the sun and my brain to give the engine temperature a little boost by drawing the heat inside the car into the coolant.

When I park the car after I get to work, I set:
The HVAC controls to Recirculate so the only air going over the heater core is from the sun warmed interior.
Vents to Bi-Level to encourage air flow through the heater core as the car interior warms in the sun.
The temperature to Hot so that the heated water from the heater core will flow into the engine block (but the thermostat won't let it go to the radiator).
I also set the fan to High so that when I start the car, the heat of the interior is immediately transferred into the coolant with maximum effect.
When I get in the car and turn the ignition on 9.5 hours after I parked it, I'm seeing coolant temperatures 5 to 10 degrees above the exterior temperature. Not a huge increase but any improvement is an improvement.
As I drive, I watch the coolant temperature increase and as soon as it increases over what I feel the interior temperature is (maybe I should put a thermometer in the cabin to be more precicse) I move the temperature control to full Cold and adjust the other controls as needed for personal comfort until the engine is fully warm.

It probably helps that I have an older car with cable actuated HVAC controls; cars with vacuum actuated HVAC systems may benefit from setting the controls in the last moment before shutting the engine off? Also, some vehicles will automatically engage the A/C compressor with certain HVAC settings; they may need to change the settings before starting the vehicle.

One added benefit as we move into the warmer spring and summer months is that I'm pulling heat out of the cabin and moving it into the engine throughout the day.

TPRog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 11:15 PM   #13
Registered Member

Paint your hood matte black or fit a black cover over it.

Tags
hybrid, ioniq, manual, mpg, tdi