Condensator Installation/Reporting Thread - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Tech, Troubleshooting and Repair > Experiments, Modifications and DIY
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 07-10-2006, 03:08 PM   #11
Registered Member

I looked at the site and they were saying there was an immediate performance improvement. I'd take the car out as it sits before installing the device on an XX mile trip filling before and after at the same station, then install it and make the trip again. Leave it installed, drive a week, and do the trip a 3rd time to see if it changes for better. I personally don't think you'll see much change, but what do I know.

cheapybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 03:20 PM   #12
Registered Member

I'm going to make sure I can quick connect/disconnect it. Once I get the MID calibrated then I can do instant long or short A-B-A tests. I'd have to drive at least 100 km to even burn a gallon of fuel. At those small amounts I could see fill errors becoming a problem, plus temperature, wind, and other ambient conditions would interfere over that large of a distance.

Old 07-11-2006, 03:59 AM   #13
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zpiloto
Was that 30 MPG with the heated fuel, additives, etc. If so you just changed quite a bit of suff and your baseline.
30 ODO (not Google corrected) mpg is baseline with advanced ignition and no EGR.

Was getting 33 ODO mpg with fuel heat...and 34.5 mpg with the larger tires and using Google Earth to correct the ODO.

Of that list of mods...the only thing that shows a mpg gain with this car is the fuel heat at 10% or 3 mpg...and only in summer...probably due to not getting enough heat to the fuel during winter.

CORRECTION: nothing works to increase mpg with heated fuel ON except larger diameter tires....the other mods fail to increase mpg more than the 10% gained from heated fuel.

a new policy....I intend to ignore the nescient...a waste of time and energy.
ZugyNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 09:39 AM   #14
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95metro
Aren't air bleeds illegal due to emissions?
Might be...but someone mentioned a 20% gain from this mod so I thought I'd try it. Didn't do much for this car. Not much does...because I think Toyota used every trick available in the book at the time to up the mpg.

My focus is mpg...not emissions. The car has a recent cat and uses about 1 qt oil in 5K miles.

Try buying a new 4WD SUV or wagon that gets 30 mpg mixed and can carry over 800 lbs.

Ford Escape Hybrid? How much in the way of energy use and emissions would it take to build one of these?

So I might up the NOX some...consider this:

"For every barrel of petroleum it takes about 85% of the energy
in that barrel to discover, extract, refine, and transport the
fuel to the local pump."

So if you increase your mileage by 20%...you might actually being
reducing your overall energy use and the resulting pollution by
around 37%?

Old 07-27-2006, 04:08 PM   #15
Registered Member

First full tank refill after the Condensator installation:

* after 369 miles and 9.5 gallons (US)...I got 38.84 mpg.

* this is a gain of 29% from 30 mpg and 18% from 33 mpg.

But wait you say...how can this be?

Well it beats me.

I was actually surprised myself. Possibly the refill was shut off early for whatever reason. Next full tank refill should come under 30-33 mpg if I get an avg refill then. See no real reason to think it was a faulty shutoff...did have one of those vapor recovery pumps though. With this car there is no chance of topping it off...when it's full...it's full.

My impressions were that the engine seemed smoother and it seemed less throttle was needed to maintain cruising speed.

Below is a graph of my mpg records for this car...not too sure what my baseline is...thinking it's around 33 mpg in summer with fuel heat.

The high variance in mpg in 2005 was due to a camping trip...car sat over the next winter. The light RED line is this years local mpg up to but not including this last tank.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	T4WDMPG550.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	23  

Old 07-27-2006, 04:09 PM   #16
*shrug*

I'd like to know what mark's seeing. Mehbe he'll come back to report.
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 06:14 PM   #17
Registered Member

ZugyNA are you running synthetic oil?
zpiloto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 07:11 PM   #18
Registered Member

2 quarts Mobil 1 10W30 synth...2 quarts Torco 15W40 Diesel. DON'T intend to mix oils like this anymore.

Old 07-28-2006, 11:52 AM   #19
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZugyNA
2 quarts Mobil 1 10W30 synth...2 quarts Torco 15W40 Diesel. DON'T intend to mix oils like this anymore.
Are you superheating the vapors going back to the engine?
Old 07-29-2006, 03:42 AM   #20
Registered Member

No...just straight PCV flow.

Did go ahead and move the PCV valve on my V6 to where the flow comes out of the valve cover....and increased the size of the 2nd PCV jar I have put in to collect raw gas.

I had the PCV valve installed between the FA2000 and the intake....supposedly to act as a flame arrester. The FA2000 and the Condensator work on similar principles.

Can now watch a fog forming in the 2nd jar when reving the car up a little.

After driving it I seem to be getting the same need to back the throttle off at cruise...but don't trust the butt dyno...will see what the next V6 tank shows.