Methanol + E10 + SEFI/MPFI = mpg gain? - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 07-03-2008, 06:10 AM   #11
Registered Member

Ah...the trials and tribulations of mpg testing. All too familiar. I just try avoiding *****ing at the pump and getting too upset...they probably have laws against that you know.

You win some...some you lose...not your additive...the stupid pumps.

a new policy....I intend to ignore the nescient...a waste of time and energy.
ZugyNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 06:54 AM   #12
Registered Member

First run this morning felt good. I dosed it a little higher again, 12 oz in. I'm not totally sure but effect didn't seem quite as strong last tank when it was coming in, that had 8oz plus what was left from the original 16.9 oz. Still don't know what percentage the ethanol is in this gas. Anyway, seems more than 5% works a bit better, maybe due to some inhibition by the gasoline itself or corrosion inhibitors, detergents etc in it. I think I'm gonna settle at an ounce a gallon for this gas.

Anyway got 50 miles on it this morning and the gas gauge needle is still "pegged", normally it would at least be floating over the F mark by now, so there was more in there than normal. Got hot enough fairly rapidly, quite a difference between sub 20C air temps and just over 20C for that... I'm looking for a 205* thermostat, not sure what's in there.

I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 07:09 AM   #13
Site Team / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWarrior View Post
First run this morning felt good. I dosed it a little higher again, 12 oz in. I'm not totally sure but effect didn't seem quite as strong last tank when it was coming in, that had 8oz plus what was left from the original 16.9 oz. Still don't know what percentage the ethanol is in this gas. Anyway, seems more than 5% works a bit better, maybe due to some inhibition by the gasoline itself or corrosion inhibitors, detergents etc in it. I think I'm gonna settle at an ounce a gallon for this gas.

Anyway got 50 miles on it this morning and the gas gauge needle is still "pegged", normally it would at least be floating over the F mark by now, so there was more in there than normal. Got hot enough fairly rapidly, quite a difference between sub 20C air temps and just over 20C for that... I'm looking for a 205* thermostat, not sure what's in there.
These initial results sound intruguing... I'm tempted to go down to the hardware store today and get some methanol and try it in the beast. The bulk of my driving is in urban traffic, I'd be curious to see if it would make any difference for me.

-Jay

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 09:59 AM   #14
Registered Member

I am not too clear on how The Beast's injection system is set up. Sounds like a central injector with valves to each runner... now if they are aimed right into the port, they might be be timed to be squirting fuel into a closed port, but if they've got a bit of runner between them and the head, then I'd suspect they only flow when the valve is open. You might get 5% on the methanol's own benefits, but if it's not wetting the ports at low demand, then I don't think it's gonna do much more for you.
I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
Old 07-03-2008, 10:48 AM   #15
Site Team / Moderator

Quote:
I am not too clear on how The Beast's injection system is set up. Sounds like a central injector with valves to each runner... now if they are aimed right into the port, they might be be timed to be squirting fuel into a closed port, but if they've got a bit of runner between them and the head, then I'd suspect they only flow when the valve is open. You might get 5% on the methanol's own benefits, but if it's not wetting the ports at low demand, then I don't think it's gonna do much more for you.
The Beast has TBI if that makes any difference.

-Jay

Old 07-03-2008, 11:05 AM   #16
Registered Member

Yeah, it's TBI with per cylinder distribution (according to the stuff I read) which is what makes it wierd. Regular TBIs wouldn't see much from this if it's doing what I think it is, it's relying on having a brief period of having ethanol to hot metal(s) contact before the fuel enters the cylinder.
Old 07-03-2008, 11:30 AM   #17
Site Team / Moderator

Quote:
Yeah, it's TBI with per cylinder distribution (according to the stuff I read) which is what makes it wierd. Regular TBIs wouldn't see much from this if it's doing what I think it is, it's relying on having a brief period of having ethanol to hot metal(s) contact before the fuel enters the cylinder.
Maybe I'll start off small. I'll buy 20oz of HEET and add it to my next tank of 87 octane E10, and see what happens.

-Jay

Old 07-03-2008, 11:32 AM   #18
Registered Member

Yeah who knows, might get some effect off combustion chamber metals before combustion, or where it hits the intake valve.
Old 07-06-2008, 02:58 PM   #19
Registered Member

Something has gone wrong, it seems to have gone rich, having to fight for mpg this tank. Something happened when I was sitting in that traffic jam last tuesday, engine suddenly began to run cooler. I'm thinking it faulted something and richened up.

I can't see it being an injector getting something stuck in it, since it's a V6 any small imbalance should be detectable with some roughness. I don't feel any at idle or at a few thousand RPM. If anything it's quieter and smoother than normal at the moment, but has "too much" power for the heat we've been having. I'm thinking it faulted the IAT or CTS or something. Will have to do a key dance and count flashes.
Old 07-06-2008, 05:35 PM   #20
Site Team / Moderator

Arrow

Quote:
Something has gone wrong, it seems to have gone rich, having to fight for mpg this tank. Something happened when I was sitting in that traffic jam last tuesday, engine suddenly began to run cooler. I'm thinking it faulted something and richened up.

I can't see it being an injector getting something stuck in it, since it's a V6 any small imbalance should be detectable with some roughness. I don't feel any at idle or at a few thousand RPM. If anything it's quieter and smoother than normal at the moment, but has "too much" power for the heat we've been having. I'm thinking it faulted the IAT or CTS or something. Will have to do a key dance and count flashes.

I remember doing that on our old Chryslers. That would be the first thing I would check whenever mom would complain about the car.

May all your codes be 55...

-Jay