Methanol + E10 + SEFI/MPFI = mpg gain? - Page 5 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 07-13-2008, 07:05 AM   #41
Registered Member

Well city driving that's driving doesn't seem to ding my mpg all that much, city driving that's idling or creeping seems to suck it down, but always has.

I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 08:06 AM   #42
Site Team / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWarrior View Post
Well city driving that's driving doesn't seem to ding my mpg all that much, city driving that's idling or creeping seems to suck it down, but always has.
Unfortunately, I think what dings me the most is my daily trip to the bank. I can make a right from the main road traveling east into the plaza where the bank is, but you can't make a left back out from there to go west. To return I have to drive through the parking lot to the side street, where I usually have to wait 3 or 4 minutes for the light to change to make a left. Then once I go left I go 100 yards, and then stop again to wait several minutes again to go left onto the main road. The lights are timed to funnel traffic off of the main road as quickly as possible, so the light on the sidestreet does not turn green until the light at the main road turns red. This means when I get to the light at the main road, it has just turned red, and I gotta sit and wait an entire cycle.

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 07:01 AM   #43
Registered Member

Well, a 25mpg less a hair tank again... suspicious of that pump though... I like #2 and it was OOS so had to use #3. Same pump as that obscenely low tank a couple back. Feeling good about this combo here, due to knowing I didn't catch much draft this tank, (Dunno why, the trucks were just always where I wasn't) and had some rainy weather with lots of electrics running.

Figure I'm always gonna have issues on the road, so never gonna get the "perfect" tank that stands clear of the others again, but it breaks down like this...
Methanol + TC-W3 average, 3 best = 25.43mpg
Acetone avg, 3 best. = 23.64 mpg
Isopropyl avg, 3 best. = 24.33 mpg
Unassisted avg, 3 best. = 23.6 mpg

So acetone did barely anything over best other avg, Isopropyl did maybe 3% better than unassisted, whereas methanol and TC-W3 seems to have done about 8% better. That's about $6 a tank saving at current local prices for ~$1.50 a dose.

So, I'm considering myself "sold" on that for now and messing with some other stuff, aero etc.
I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
Old 07-17-2008, 10:14 PM   #44

Interesting. I may try the Methanol + TC-W3 for my upcoming long distance trip. Just need to source those two.
almightybmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 11:12 AM   #45
Registered Member

Most hardware stores have methyl hydrate in the thinners aisle as shellac thinner. Saw it in the grocery store yesterday in amongst the cleaners and non-food stuff, might have bought it there but there was no price on the shelf, didn't wanna get it to the cash and find out they wanted $19.99 or something stupid. Auto stores usually have outboard oil, I don't know what exactly in it is doing the business, stick to outboard oil rather than any other 2 stroke oil though because it's supposed to be ashless and cat and O2 friendly. Also they test the lubricity in outboard oils down to really low concentrations, ergo, if it is doing anything as a top end lube, in the concentration we're using it, then outboard oil will more likely work than any other 2 stroke oil because it's higher spec. TC-W4 outboard oil might also be an option, that would be a higher spec than TC-W3.

I cut TC-W3 concentration down a tad this tank, I put about half an ounce in, I'm mildly concerned that it will build up in the fuel system, and that large quantities will be baaaad mmmkay. Initial observation is that motor sounds leaner and more highly "tuned" much like one of my old 4 bangers did back in the day every time I did it's plugs, lash adjustment and re-tweaked the carb. It apparently takes mere traces of it to work, considering I used 2oz a tank previous to the first run of methanol.
Old 07-22-2008, 05:35 PM   #46
Registered Member

Hokay, got a "not bad" but not great tank, 24, had a lot of city, got the right pump this time. Upped TC-w3 to 3/4 ounce. Half ounce didn't seem to be enough.

Added 4 oz IsoPropyl Alcohol in addition to 16oz methanol and the 3/4 oz TC-W3. The reason for this is that I get hard start issues in hot weather which seem to go away with IPA... so I'm trying it in addition, hoping it at least doesn't mess with da methanol mojo.

Initial highway trip on that was interesting..... engine went very smooth and quiet. Hard warm start seems to be gone at least so that bit still works. Subjectively doesn't seem to have as much grunt for hills down low, but not sure if that's because it's quieter now.
Old 07-22-2008, 09:28 PM   #47
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWarrior View Post
but on my LAST trip on the tank, I got stuck in a 1 hour holdup where they closed the highway down to one lane on a friday afternoon. Freaking ridiculous time to mess around with that. I swear I burned a gallon or more in that stupidity...
With a SG you just take note of the start and end gallons and subtract that out.
severach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 02:16 PM   #48
Registered Member

Yes a scangauge would be nice, ain't never gonna work on an '88 though.

So I was kinda pleasantly surprised by this tank, had some colder mornings, drove in some nasty weather, with creepy crawly though floodwaters, was late a couple of times and drove 5-10mph faster (I know, barely helps, but your foot just kinda gets heavy) I thought I was headed for a 22-23, but got a 24.8.

So guess the 4oz of IPA didn't hurt the mix that I can see, may even have helped it but obviously can't really say off those figures. It damn sure helps my starting so it will stay in the blend now. So the buttdyno and thumb computer, figure I was 3 mpg over what I "should have" seen pessimistically, and say that with "perfect weather, perfect driving, perfect traffic" I could possibly hit a 28 on this mix. That's just sensible speed highway driving with "safety drafting" as I get the opportunity, not EOC P+G stuff.

Actually it's been below the "feeling it working"* temperature most of the week and I only "felt" it this afternoon with 28C ambients.

(*VTEC just kicked in yo )
Old 07-31-2008, 06:44 PM   #49
Registered Member

Well that was into the 25s last tank, with weekend city driving thrown in, no other mods yet, just found out my evap purge solenoid might have been acting up, maybe some messing with that will show a small improvement. Again got virtually no draft on that tank.

Been luckier the first couple of trips on this tank with that, but the trucks are driving faster again, so dunno how that will pan out.

Thinking I'm gonna fill on monday whatever, to try and get a straight highway tank.
Old 08-01-2008, 01:07 PM   #50
Registered Member

O.K.,so what is the final recipe for your "cocktail"? How much TC-3,methanol,isopropyl???

67 Satellite is offline   Reply With Quote