Peakster's Experiment #5: ACETONE REVEALED!!! - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Tech, Troubleshooting and Repair > Experiments, Modifications and DIY
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 04-16-2007, 06:25 PM   #11
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to trebuchet03
Wow, I think you found a more reliable method to test I'm at 3/8 a tank now, so when it gets a bit lower, I'll follow your methodology I even have syringes (either 10cc or 5cc), so I can get a better % measurement.

That might take some time though - considering how much fuel I use :P Now I need to find a nice straight patch of free highway to test on :P I'll also record my results on tape

Out of curiosity (because I just got my SG), you're just resetting the trip data right?

Bike Miles (Begin Aug. 20 - '07): ~433.2 miles

11/12
trebuchet03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 06:51 PM   #12
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peakster View Post
(The expressway has a 62mph speed limit with no fixed radar cameras).
Why don't they use a round number, like 60 or 65 mph?

Just kidding. :-)

Old 04-16-2007, 07:00 PM   #13
ELF
Registered Member

Great video peakster, If it was me I would not have shown my face, just think, all those big oil guys will be after you and now they know what you look like.

Seriously, do you have other runs on that same route at the same speed? Like from different days? If you had a few more runs from different days without the acetone you would have a better baseline to compare to.
Old 04-16-2007, 07:17 PM   #14
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebuchet03 View Post
Out of curiosity (because I just got my SG), you're just resetting the trip data right?
Yup. Pretty simple procedure. Just make sure you use cruise control when you experiment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELF View Post
Great video peakster, If it was me I would not have shown my face, just think, all those big oil guys will be after you and now they know what you look like.
LMAO. I thought at first you said 'big old guys'! I was imagining these wrinkly hairy dudes out to get me! That would be the day: "Oh my gosh, this 21-year-old kid found a ~2% increase in FE, our profits are doomed!!!". Well if I ever dissappear you know why. Maybe I'll be the next Jimmy Hoffa? . The big oil guys are probably going to be more angry as I gave 'free advertizing' to my el-cheapo gas station.

Quote:
Seriously, do you have other runs on that same route at the same speed? Like from different days? If you had a few more runs from different days without the acetone you would have a better baseline to compare to.
My FE chart here on GS is all over the place, so I thought it to be best to do comparison with same-day statistics. I encourage other members to make experiments with acetone too. Remember, most cars don't have 3 cylinders (not that I would think it matter).
Peakster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 07:22 PM   #15
Registered Member

Peak I'm with ELF might want to go into hiding. Congrats on busting into the top 10.

I think that all this proves is that tank to tank testing doesn't work to well. If you had 5-6 oz/10gal for 4 gallons and then you filled 7 so now you at the recommended level of 2oz/10 gallons and you saw a decrease. I just chalk it up to noise of daily driving. Without the ability to test without again you just don't know. Thats why additive are so tuff to test.
zpiloto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 07:41 PM   #16
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zpiloto View Post
I think that all this proves is that tank to tank testing doesn't work to well. If you had 5-6 oz/10gal for 4 gallons and then you filled 7 so now you at the recommended level of 2oz/10 gallons and you saw a decrease.
Honestly, I would have really loved it if the FE went down with any acetone added and finally put the last nail in the coffin with this issue. But no, it's got to throw a potential 2.45% FE increase curve ball into the mix!

Also, the 5-6 ounces per 10 gallons required for this increase pretty much rules out cost effectiveness. a 2% increase in FE for my car only saves about $1 in gasoline per tank. I forget how expensive the 1 litre can of acetone was, but I'm pretty sure I'm not coming out rich. It's no 30% increase, that's for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
But the volume of vehicles is still an issue - you've probably read about the "corridor effect" somewhere around here.

(Students at a college beside hwy 401 in Scarborough actually figured they could set up wind turbines to harvest energy from the corridor effect.)
I haven't read or heard about 'corridor effect' before. Do you have any links to where I can learn more about it?
Old 04-16-2007, 10:23 PM   #17
Registered Member

If you have a multimeter, could you check the peak/average oxygen sensor voltage w/ and w/o Acetone? Thanks.
omgwtfbyobbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 10:36 PM   #18
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgwtfbyobbq View Post
If you have a multimeter, could you check the peak/average oxygen sensor voltage w/ and w/o Acetone? Thanks.
Sorry, don't have one. You have me intrigued, what's your theory?
Old 04-16-2007, 11:36 PM   #19
Registered Member

I lost mine, now all I have is one probe.
Anyway, I've read that with certain types of oxygen sensors, the acetone results in the sensor reading that there's less oxygen than there actually is, which makes the car run *leaner, in proportion to the amount of Acetone used. If so, it's probably why too much hurts fuel efficiency, with the ECU going into open loop and all that. But it's just speculation on my behalf, once I find my multimeter I may be able to test it.

*I'm not sure how exactly, but I was thinking that maybe the weaker single bonds of the unburnt acetone's methyl groups could be broken up by the oxygen sensor current (Iirc, this is how it measures oxygen content, but breaking up oxygen w/ a catalyst and getting some electrons from it when mono atomic oxygen goes back to diatomic oxygen) , and result in the hydrogen and carbon binding with free oxygen atoms, lowering the apparent oxygen content of the exhaust, and leaning out the engine. But... I don't know much about chemistry, so meh?
omgwtfbyobbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 02:19 AM   #20
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
Yeah bell shaped curve with a peak around 3.5oz/10 gallons and it can vary. Best to buy it by the gallon for better pricing ($12) and to use less instead of more to lower the cost per gain - should come out to about 35 cents per fillup of 10 gallons or 3.5 cents per gallon so at current prices about 1.5% more cost per gallon. Gets rid of water and burns cleaner keeping air and oil cleaner - sounds like a win win win situation.

JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote