Shifting Tactics - Page 4 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 03-15-2006, 09:11 PM   #31
Registered Member

Toyota Engine Protection

I rented a Toyota Matrix (Pontiac Vibe) on a few occasions and found that from a cold start, under heavy throttle, the ECU won't let the RPMs go higher than around 3000 RPM until the coolant temp is high enough -- perhaps an engine saving or emissions feature. I think the ECU is pretty complicated and un-traditional and may apply to the Scion line (similar engine probably). Maybe the computer doesn't react to closed throttle as expected.

I need to get a ScanGuage...injection pulsation is good info to have.

RH77

Old 03-16-2006, 02:23 AM   #32
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
not official

Not official just a guess - any way you could check the exhost for fuel use - oxy sensor feedback? to see if gas is being injected?? Heat rise of a cold engine may idicate something also. Fuel pump current?

Just thought of another test - climbing hills - going fast and going slow should yield the same mpg unless the engine has a sweet spot. Maybe a great way to test power levels without going too fast to eliminate air drag factors. Going up hill with a cold engine really gets the engine temp up quickly - keep rpm low to increase heat absorbsion inside the cylinders.

Coasting in/out of gear - if you have to time a light then slowing down sooner will preserve more speed when getting to the light green. Also stopping on a down hill with a light - better to stop higher up on the hill if you can and use the hill to speed up when the light turns green. Stop signs don't work with this technique.

JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 04:15 AM   #33
Registered Member

Re: Toyota Engine Protection

Quote:
Originally Posted by rh77
I need to get a ScanGuage...injection pulsation is good info to have.
it actually doesn't show that directly (though it must USE that info for the instant/avg MPG calcs). it doesn't show fuel trim either.
MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 06:56 AM   #34
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG
it actually doesn't show that directly (though it must USE that info for the instant/avg MPG calcs). it doesn't show fuel trim either.
I wonder if it's possible to get a "Y" OBD-II splitter, so I can use my data logger to get fuel trim, etc. and plug the ScanGuage into the other port.

RH77
Old 03-16-2006, 07:11 AM   #35
Driving on E

Quote:
Originally Posted by rh77
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG
I wonder if it's possible to get a "Y" OBD-II splitter, so I can use my data logger to get fuel trim, etc. and plug the ScanGuage into the other port.

RH77
I bet that you could make one really easily. I also bet that you could contact the guys at www.rywire.com to get one made for you.
Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 07:33 AM   #36
*shrug*

Quote:I rented a Toyota

Quote:
I rented a Toyota Matrix (Pontiac Vibe) on a few occasions and found that from a cold start, under heavy throttle, the ECU won't let the RPMs go higher than around 3000 RPM until the coolant temp is high enough -- perhaps an engine saving or emissions feature. I think the ECU is pretty complicated and un-traditional and may apply to the Scion line (similar engine probably). Maybe the computer doesn't react to closed throttle as expected.
Similarly, my friend's 01 civic sets a rev limit based on certain factors. For example, I can't rev it up in park, or with the brake on, so there's no possibility to peeling out unless I neutral bomb the thing, but I'd feel bad doing that to someone else cars,

SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote