Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   iOS | Fuelly Mobile (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f41/)
-   -   Fuelly iOS Announcement (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f41/fuelly-ios-announcement-1226.html)

andyrobo 08-22-2013 06:32 AM

Fuelly iOS Announcement

Today we are proud to announce that Fuelly has acquired GasCubby, the leading iOS fuel logging app.

The "fuel-up" process is the heart & soul of any fuel logging system. It should be as easy, fast, & accurate as possible to add data. Although Fuelly has a mobile optimized site, a data connection might not always be available. We want the best experience for our users, and we feel that is a going to mean storing your data locally and syncing to the cloud. You should be able to edit your data from your iPhone, a website or an Android tablet.

We were researching the best and most popular iOS apps on the market and GasCubby was the obvious leader. As we defined what would make for the most efficient fuel logging process, GasCubby has it dialed in. We started thinking "Why reinvent the wheel? Maybe we could join forces?" A few weeks later we worked out the logistics and GasCubby will become the official Fuelly iOS app.

We're planning a total re-write for iOS 7, it will be the foundation for us to iterate on moving forward. Our goal is to perfect the "fuel-up" from native apps and then from there we plan to listen to features requested by members and

At first the name will be changed to Gas Fuelly and the old 'wooden' GasCubby logo will remain the same. We don't want people to look on their phones and not be able to find the app. With time we'll update the logo and the name will simply be the Fuelly app. There will continue to be a full featured ad supported version and a premium paid (ad free) version which will have more features enabled (similar to the current GasCubby FREE and GasCubby paid apps).

Our vision is to provide a cross platform system where users can enjoy a beautiful interface from iOS to Android and even from a mobile or traditional desktop browser. We will remain focused on making sure our fuel-up process is the most efficient possible and look forward to discussing new features with our members as we decide what else to add to our system.

nutmac 08-22-2013 08:12 AM

Great news. I use both Fuelly and Gas Cubby, so full integration between two services I love would be much appreciated.

I am currently using Gas Cubby FREE and if I were to pay to upgrade to the paid version, would you be offering the full update at no extra cost? Or am I better off waiting for the full update?

Any specific time frame? I have signed up for the beta version and I really hope to be chosen.

nutmac 08-22-2013 09:46 AM

Also, Gas Cubby has a lot more fields for each fill-up than Fuelly. How do you intend to merge both data?

P.S. If you pick me as a beta tester (I have signed up already), I would of course love to test all these potential conflicts.

andyrobo 08-22-2013 09:58 AM

Phil,

We're not sure about what features will differentiate the free version from the paid version. We do know that the free version will be ad supported and the paid version will not have ads. We will also look for some other features to provide value to those who want to pay for the app but have not defined them.

As for the extra profile fields, we are in the process of rebuilding our foundation so we can handle more data, some details about this were posted in this other discussion in our forum.

Thanks for offering to help with the Beta testing. We'll need all the help we can get!

jmp316 08-22-2013 12:27 PM

Good to hear, Gas Cubby is a quality app. I'm assuming I can delete the GasTracker + app due to this? GasTracker and fuelly never played well together (since fuelly acquired it its been very glitchy).. Here's hoping the new marriage to Gas Cubby is much more successful...

andyrobo 08-22-2013 01:05 PM

We had a lot of issues with Gas Tracker. After we acquired it the developer was supposed to work with us to fix some issues but he ended up with very little time available. It was built from scraping the fuelly site and then rendering the data via a native app. We just released a new version of Gas Tracker that's partially running through an API and the rest is from scraped content. We had some issues but it should be working okay now. The plan is to keep Gas Tracker live while we work on our new API based foundation and then the Gas Cubby integration. It's going to take us a while so you might want to leave Gas Tracker installed for the time being. At some later date we will probably "brick" Gas Tracker with a link to download the new official app. In the meantime it's a band aid to give people some functionality on the go (it's working better as of yesterday when some API results were fixed).

Fusilier 08-23-2013 09:05 PM

I hope the new/eventual version will allow offline use or at least offline data entry. It would be expensive to turn on data roaming while travelling just to enter fill up data. Some sort of offline data entry / sync function would be great - it would support iPod Touch use that way too.

In the mean time, i'll give Gas Cubby a try in addition to post fillup data entry at home.

Idontpayroadtax 08-23-2013 11:55 PM

Will the gas cubby app be made available in the UK?

jmp316 08-24-2013 10:12 AM

Thanks for the clarification and update. Just as an FYI, I could NEVER get Gas Tracker to work for me (even after last week's update), so I'm still using the web app. When I log into Gas Tracker with my fuelly information, the data is all blank. Reset the phone, uninstalled/installed the app, but still no dice. Thank goodness for a native app that will just WORK soon.

andyrobo 08-25-2013 01:12 PM

Offline mode will be part of the future app, along with available globally.

jmp316 - Try GasTracker again. We had issues with some API requests going back and forth which we were able to fix without a need to push out a new update. It should work, it not, please post back. Thanks.

lexusvishal 08-26-2013 01:25 AM

I've been using GasTracker for the past few months.

I already have GasCubby as well, I purchased it for $5 a year or two back. My question is, once it is updated with fuelly features will I have to buy the app again or are you releasing it as an update to the application?

BTW, I am running iOS7 and have requested to help as beta tester for this app.

andyrobo 08-27-2013 12:20 AM

You would not need to buy the app again, we'll continue with the same model as before with a free version (with ads) and a paid version (without ads). The new version of GasCubby will be pushed out as an update.

We don't want people to look at their phones and wonder "where is my Gas Cubby app" so at this time were thinking the process will be to leave the icon the same but change the name to Gas Fuelly. Then later on, with another update, we'll change the name to just Fuelly but still keep the Gas Cubby icon. Lastly, at some future date we'll switch the icon out for Fuelly's. We're hoping a phased approach like this will help ensure a smooth transition for our users.

If you all have any other questions, please post them here!

jmp316 08-27-2013 11:38 AM

Thanks for the quick replies andyrobo. I deleted the GasTracker app a few days ago but downloaded it again tonight at your request. When I click on my car in the "Garage" tab, I still get no fuelly data on my car. BTW, I'm on an iPhone 5 running 6.1.4 if that helps. I know you're working on fixes, but I think I'll stick with the web app for now. Thanks!

VTDoo 08-29-2013 10:20 PM

Will this app work in the UK?

andyrobo 09-01-2013 10:58 AM

Yes, our intent is to develop for the earth. We want Fuelly to be available for everyone.

allancawood 09-04-2013 08:26 PM

This is fantastic news. I was about to start writing my own iOS/Android application to do this.

I am unable to find GasCubby/Fuelly on the South African iTunes Store.

Please advise.

aliciousness 09-09-2013 01:34 AM

Just started using GasCubby and Fuelly, but like them both so far. Can't wait for the integration and beta testing!

One thing I'd like to change in the GasCubby app, is the ability to add/delete service reminders (like in fuelly). Currently, GasCubby has a list of service reminders with preset names with no way to edit the names or add your own service reminder.

On that note, I like how GasCubby has both alert with miles and months (whichever comes first). It would be nice if we could do the same in Fuelly -- enter the miles AND months.

Understandably, you've got a lot on your plate right now, but this is something I'd like in the update for the new GasCubby and Fuelly.

LittleHim 09-13-2013 08:51 AM

I've been using GasCubby for years, please don't f it up.

aliciousness - To add a service reminder scroll to the bottom of the services list while entering a new service. Once you've added the service you can edit the reminder by tapping the 'i' beside the vehicle name at bottom of screen then edit vehicle, then service reminders. Never realized you can't edit the name until now, but you can delete some services by tapping edit in the bottom left corner of the services screen while entering a new service.

MetalBird 09-17-2013 05:06 AM

I agree with LittleHim. I have 2 years of data entered into Gas Cubby for my vehicles ... please don't F it up!

Change the name and logo all you want, just do not change what the app does on the inside or lose my data.

I am just now aware of the change, trying to figure out what is going on as I see Gas Cubby had a new developer name in iTunes. Searching I found this announcement, signed up for Fuelly, its still new to me and doesn't have all my data in it (I assume that will sync over time) but I still like Cubby way better, Cubby's Stats page and Graphs are great.

I look forward to improvements but dread any big changes.

Who runs the Gas Cubby app now ... is it the App Cubby crew (now called Contrast, which is another revelation to me) or is it the Fuelly team?

Thanks

MetalBird 09-17-2013 05:21 AM

Never mind, I am already finding some Twitter postings that are answering questions I have...

wnyang 09-21-2013 02:22 AM

Hey guys, I just signed up to make a suggestion. Please, please, please make the new app look and feel like iOS 7. Heck, change the app icon to the Fuelly logo if needed, the Scrabble tile while cool, no longer works under the new design and it looks VERY out of place.

I have signed up to be a beta tester, but I can provide a lot more feedback both in and out of the program if you'd guys like.

Right now my favorite iOS 7 optimized apps include Fitbit, Evernote, Personal Capital's finance app, and Perfect Weather.

If you guys can make the app look good, minimal, and have the data backup to a Dropbox or on a central server or something, it truly will be THE APP to own. I mean like Mashable/TechCrunch mention worthy status.

Good luck and looking forward to hearing from you guys. =)

Johnsons93 09-30-2013 08:55 PM

Just learned that you have acquired GasCubby, which I've been using for years. I'm concerned that my syncing is not working right now, though. My husband is filling my car today, but hadn't synced GasCubby for a few months, and when he does, it doesn't pull up information.

What's going to happen to the information that's supposed to be syncing across our phones? Will it continue to do so? Is it gone from the servers where it was?

I am looking forward to seeing what improvements you might make, and hoping this option of syncing our data for multiple cars across multiple devices won't be lost.

Thanks!

CTdave 10-14-2013 06:34 AM

Are you kidding? Is it possible that Gas Cubby synching isn't working anymore?

I like the Fuelly web version very much, but the iOS stuff has been a disaster. I just redownloaded the Gas Tracker app again after who knows how many tries over the last few months, and sure enough, Null values for my car yet again.

I am a database designer and programmer, and if I put forth the kind of work that Gas Tracker has shown us, I would expect to be hung from a tree. No excuses.

I'll suspend judgement till the release, but if the last two years of data goes away out of Gas Cubby, it's gonna be ugly. For God's sake, do this one right.

josedebardi 12-30-2013 01:04 PM

Any news on integration of the Gas Cubby app with Fuelly?
I am in the UK and just downloaded Gas Cubby after joining Fuelly as it says the developer is Fuelly, but it seems standalone still?

mdusing 01-31-2014 11:13 AM

Excited to see new app

Yes the apps are still separate but will eventually merge per info on this forum. My syncing in Gas Cubby is still working just fine.

Can't wait for the new app and updated UI.

Mathfuzzy 03-13-2014 03:24 PM

Any Update on the app? I just imported all my data from Gas Cubby, and would LOVE to not have to make duplicate entries into Fuelly between now and whenever the two are integrated. Or am I missing something?

adellelijah 03-19-2014 04:33 PM

So anything up these days? Can't wait to start tracking the goodness again but I still don't know which app to download on my iPhone.

dj2big 05-14-2014 03:28 PM

where the app?

fyzm7357 06-09-2014 10:21 AM

10 months since acquisition and still no app or even an update of when it can be expected?

andyrobo 06-09-2014 12:17 PM

In order to integrate GasCubby into Fuelly we needed a more powerful API. Fuelly was originally built on Cold Fusion and Microsoft SQL and we decided to move to a different tech stack. We've spent nearly a year working on the new backend system to power Fuelly which is going online tomorrow night. Once that is live and bugs are worked out we will be rolling out the new GasCubby app.

The code behind the GasCubby app that is currently available is ancient. The new app is a total rewrite. It might seem simple on the front end but the amount of work needed to develop all these systems and make sure they function properly when no data connection is available is significant.

The new GasCubby app will be available this summer. We are planning to evolve the app through a few stages where it will feel familiar without any surprises or overhead added to the fuel-up process that would diminish the user experience. So the release this summer will have feature parity with the current app but we have much grander plans for the releases that will start to flow once our new infrastructure is in place. For example, our vision is to evolve from simply a fuel logging to a total cost of ownership system. We want Fuelly to be a tool where you can keep all your receipts (photos, pdfs, etc) of your maintenance records, where you can see how much depreciation costs, where you compare with other similar drivers (make/model/etc) on insurance, etc. We also want to dig deeper and add more granular data such as individual drives that make up a tank. We'll be inviting users to test out ODBII integration and other more advanced features. Ultimately when you drive into a gas station we want Fuelly to ask you if you want to log your fuel up and that it's smart enough to know if you are probably just stopping in for beer or actually getting gas. The ultimate goal is to make sure things are as easy as possible and that data is as clean as possible so we can benefit from each others contributions. We also understand some just want the basic fuel logger they have grown to love over the years and we plan to allow users to opt-out of any of the sharing features and keep an experience very similar to the one you have now if that is what you desire.

With the above being said, we do plan to focus on the fuel-up and make sure we have that dialed in as much as possible. For example, we want to develop technology to integrate local weather information and altitude information so we can understand how those might effect the performance of a vehicle. A big problem we had to solve this last year was a better way to handle the taxonomy of organizing vehicles so users can compare their results to others with the same engine and transmission. We are also working on methods to identify data input errors and ways to suggest solutions when potential issues arise. For example, my Dad filled up my minivan last week when my wife and I went to Austin. I filled her up today and the MPG was double, that's because he didn't write down the fuel-up info and I didn't know he filled up. In the future we want the system to be smart enough to see this issue and ask me if I want to mark the fuel-up as a missed fuel-up to reset it for my next tank.

We appreciate everyone's patience during the past year. We have been very busy working on getting the foundation in place that will let us evolve and start to bring new features to you all. Look for a new GasCubby app out this summer.

Also, I want to take every chance possible to communicate how our app integration is going to work. We don't want GasCubby users looking on their phone and not being able to find the app. We will first update it with the same old icon and a new name called GasFuelly. Then in another update a few months later we will change the icon. Lastly we will drop the GasFuelly name and the app will simply be called Fuelly. We're just trying to be respectful and make sure people understand what's going on.

Thanks again for your patience and we are excited to drive with you into the future!

toddbg 07-03-2014 12:39 PM

Hey Andy -
Really looking forward to the updated gascubby app.
couple of quick questions...
from a timing standpoint - you've said summer. do you have any idea of if it is sooner or later? :)
secondly - is there any new features in the upgraded app?
In particular I'm looking for the ability to put in a historical set of data in a csv and upload it into the app...

Thanks very much!

RobertV 08-12-2014 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toddbg (Post 177383)
Hey Andy -
Really looking forward to the updated gascubby app.
couple of quick questions...
from a timing standpoint - you've said summer. do you have any idea of if it is sooner or later? :)
secondly - is there any new features in the upgraded app?
In particular I'm looking for the ability to put in a historical set of data in a csv and upload it into the app...

Thanks very much!

The Fuelly team had a meeting earlier this afternoon.

We're shooting to have a Beta release for the updated GasCubby around the same time iPhone 6 and iOS 8 roll out!

That's right... just around the corner!

Importing a CSV sounds like something that could definitely be done, especially once integrate fully with Fuelly.com (you could import the CSV to Fuelly, and have it completely view-able from the mobile app).

EMPhoto 09-10-2014 06:07 AM

How do I recover my data from my iPhone backup from GasCubby to import into Fuelly? GasCubby is absolutely incompatible with iOS 8 and is my most regularly used app. I'm not certain the syncing was working, because if it was not auto sync (which is the only logical thing to do) I'm not backed up except through that iPhone backup.

RobertV 09-10-2014 06:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EMPhoto (Post 179099)
How do I recover my data from my iPhone backup from GasCubby to import into Fuelly? GasCubby is absolutely incompatible with iOS 8 and is my most regularly used app. I'm not certain the syncing was working, because if it was not auto sync (which is the only logical thing to do) I'm not backed up except through that iPhone backup.

Sorry you're having trouble! With the official launch of iOS 8 around the corner, one of our top goals is to ensure our apps are ready.
That being said, what specific issues are you having with GasCubby? In our testing with the beta, we've only uncovered a bug with graphs when rotating the screen. We haven't had any issues with syncing data from a device running iOS7 into a device running iOS8.

The lack of auto-sync is how GasCubby was originally designed but we are addressing that in a future update.

If you're looking to just export the fill-up data and import it into Fuelly, then please follow these steps on emailing your records as a CSV- https://www.fuelly.com/gascubby/suppo.../gcexport.html

Afterwards, importing them into Fuelly is detailed here- https://www.fuelly.com/faq/10/How-do-...t-fuel-up-data

EMPhoto 09-10-2014 06:25 AM

I'm on a dev upgrade to the GM doing some final testing, GasCubby just crashes upon launch. So unless the data is in the iPhone backup on my computer I'm screwed. There is no way to export from the app because the app will not run.

ibrewster 09-10-2014 06:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EMPhoto (Post 179103)
I'm on a dev upgrade to the GM doing some final testing, GasCubby just crashes upon launch. So unless the data is in the iPhone backup on my computer I'm screwed. There is no way to export from the app because the app will not run.

Same here. Developer GM release of iOS8, and crash on launch. I've been syncing, and my wife's iPhone is still on 7, so no data loss, but I can no longer run GasCubby on my iPhone. I can add a crash report once I get to my work computer in an hour or so (presumably) - my home machine isn't set up to pull them.

RobertV 09-10-2014 06:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EMPhoto (Post 179103)

Quote:

Originally Posted by ibrewster (Post 179104)
Same here. Developer GM release of iOS8, and crash on launch. I've been syncing, and my wife's iPhone is still on 7, so no data loss, but I can no longer run GasCubby on my iPhone. I can add a crash report once I get to my work computer in an hour or so (presumably) - my home machine isn't set up to pull them.

I've forwarded this to our Developers.
We'll look into this and get back to you both.
Thank you for bringing this to out attention.

andyrobo 09-10-2014 06:51 AM

We have been testing Gas Cubby on the previous Beta versions and the only issue we could find was with charting when the app was turned sideways. It's unfortunate to hear the GM version is causing these issues and we are looking into them as I type this. Please rest assured that your data is safe.

The new version of Gas Cubby uses a new database storage engine and data model. We build the upgrade to leave the old database in place, untouched, and simply import the data in our new database. This way if an import were to fail we still have the old data in an untouched format. So your data should be safe on your phone and thus you should not lose any data.

The new version of Gas Cubby is a complete rewrite. Some of the old code dates back to the first gen iPhones and is likely the issue here. So the new version is already being designed for the larger screen with autolayout elements. It's going to be the foundation for the future and allow us to iterate and deploy fixes and new features more quickly.

We are just about to submit the latest version of Gas Cubby to Test Flight so we can test some more. We'll try to push out the public update ASAP but we have to make sure it's ready. So please be patient and we'll post an update to this thread so you can get a subscription notification when it's been uploaded and awaiting review by Apple.

npvw 09-10-2014 08:54 AM

It seems fuelly only concentrate on fuel.?
Gas cubby had maintenance as well.
Will fuelly incorporate this?
Gas cubby was a very good one stop shop with most features.
The additional fields of gas cubby were alao very handy.
Would love to see some reports by fuel grade(octane level).
Reports on most frequent fuel used, fuel station.
Also: show fuel comsumption with maintenance events included to show the potentiL of regular maintenance

Regards
Nicolaas
South Africa

ibrewster 09-10-2014 09:56 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I am attaching my Crash log, in ZIP format (the raw text version came in at 43k, too large for the paltry 20k you allow). Hopefully it's of some use, although if you have been able to re-produce the crash it may not be. Thanks for looking into this!