china tires? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 08-01-2008, 04:57 PM   #1
Registered Member

china tires?

Any body have experience with made in China tires?
particularly BOMEX, getting 195/55/15 for $470, wondering if its worth it or will I suffer from cheap ting no good.
any info will be very much appreciated
thanks.

wendywindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 05:33 PM   #2
Registered Member

If you're looking for cheap, some Korean brands are well thought of, such as Kumho. In particular for fuel economy, the Kumho Solus KR-21 is reckoned to offer good value and low rolling resistance.

Most "car guys" on the internet point themselves towards tirerack.com for tires, their prices are the cheapest around, and shipping is usually quick, and they can arrange for local installation, which usually runs around $15 extra tire. Most advertised tire prices do not usually include valves, or balancing, but may include installation. There may also be a fee for used tire disposal.

I noticed you mentioned an SUV in another post, for truck based SUVs using truck tires, BF Goodrich LongTrail T/A tires are well thought of for low rolling resistance. However if that's the size you need there, sounds like regular passenger sized tires for a CRV or Rav-4 or something like that if that's your SUV.

Also if your local Walmart Tire and lube center is reputable, the Marshal/Ulysses 791 Touring is a reasonable tire for a reasonable price, made by Kumho for Walmart, and has a lower rolling resistance than many cheaper tires. I'm not sure it is available in 55 series sizes though.

I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 02:09 PM   #3
Registered Member

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought Kumho tires were made in China.
Old 08-02-2008, 09:13 PM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoopster View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought Kumho tires were made in China.
The Kumho tires on my Geo Metro very clearly say: "Made in China".

Dick Naugle says: 1. Prepare food fresh. 2. Serve customers fast. 3. Keep place clean.

GasSavers_JoeBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 03:44 AM   #5
Registered Member

Wow, even the Koreans are farming out to China. Last time I saw recently installed Kuhmos in the flesh, they were still made in Korea.
I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 08:17 AM   #6
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to kamesama980 Send a message via Yahoo to kamesama980
have you looked at tire-rack yet? picking the cheapest tires there with road hazard and shipping to me is under 300... mounting all 4 might be around $90 all said and done. that's jsut going to the cheapest tho, not looking at stats for them.

mechanic, carpenter, stagehand, rigger, and know-it-all smartass
"You don't get to judge me for how I fix what you break"
kamesama980 is offline   Reply With Quote