clutch case cover is bent, what to do? - Fuelly Forums

Android Users - Coming Soon! - Migrating from aCar 4.8 to 5.0

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 05-07-2006, 07:23 PM   #1
Driving on E
 
Matt Timion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 3,110
Country: United States
clutch case cover is bent, what to do?

Admittedly I don't know much about engines. Hell, I don't know much about cars. I've never even changed my oil before, but I'm planning an engine swap. Go figure.

Anyway, I was mounting my new transmission on my new engine today and I noticed that the bottom of the clutch case cover is bent. It looks like the engine was resting on the clutch case cover at one time.

Does transmission fluid only go in the gear area of the tranny and not where the flywheel/clutch are? If my cover is bent on the bottom should I replace it just to keep the dust/etc. out of the clutch/flywheel area?

if I'm going to replace my clutch case cover, should I just replace my clutch and flywheel too?]

I would post pictures but the camera isn't here.

###EDIT###

The part that is bent is #1 in this image:


__________________

Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 08:28 PM   #2
Driving on E
 
Matt Timion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 3,110
Country: United States
Some pictures of the bent

Some pictures of the bent cover:





__________________

Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 09:29 PM   #3
Registered Member
 
philmcneal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 333
Country: Canada
wow didn't know you were as

wow didn't know you were as car illerate as me, at least your first task is a big one and hope it all goes well for you! if you can do this yourself man then you can do a lot of things on your own car.

I know the technical aspects of an engine, but to work on it I'm clueless and timid.

Right now I want to clean my 12volt batteries but am afraid.
__________________
If your reading this, then good for you, your saving some gas because your here.
philmcneal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 09:33 PM   #4
*shrug*
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 6,195
Country: United States
Quote:wow didn't know you

Quote:
wow didn't know you were as car illerate as me
He's not, of course, but he doesn't put enough miles on it to change the oil,

He did paint the whole thing himself after all, and did a damn fine job, I might add.
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 10:41 PM   #5
Registered Member
 
GasSavers_Diemaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 163
Country: United States
Re: Quote:wow didn't know you

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy
He did paint the whole thing himself after all, and did a damn fine job, I might add.

of course u'd never know that b;c he didnt change his avatar :P

i would replace ti just for the hell of it. i mean after all u dont want dirt in your oil and **** ur "new" motor and or trany.
__________________
I ♥ my EM2


Need this stuff gone!
http://www.honda-tech.com/zero...67053[/B]
GasSavers_Diemaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 10:52 PM   #6
Driving on E
 
Matt Timion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 3,110
Country: United States
Re: Quote:wow didn't know you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy
He did paint the whole thing himself after all, and did a damn fine job, I might add.

of course u'd never know that b;c he didnt change his avatar :P

i would replace ti just for the hell of it. i mean after all u dont want dirt in your oil and **** ur "new" motor and or trany.
I found a thread on honda-tech about this cover. Apparently some people take it off and are fine. Others insist on it being there. I'm going to see how much work it is to remove (like if I need to remove the oil pan to do it, etc. If it's an easy task I'll just remove the one from my existing engine and put it on the new engine.
Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 06:35 AM   #7
Moderator
 
GasSavers_DaX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,209
Country: United States
I'd be willing to mail you

I'd be willing to mail you one if you need it.

I surely wouldn't go without it. Any debris gets caught up in there...yar
GasSavers_DaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 06:46 AM   #8
Driving on E
 
Matt Timion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 3,110
Country: United States
Re: I'd be willing to mail you

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaX
I'd be willing to mail you one if you need it.

I surely wouldn't go without it. Any debris gets caught up in there...yar
Do I need to remove the oil pan in order to remove the cover?

I should be able to just grab one off of a junkyard car for a few bucks.
Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 07:50 AM   #9
Moderator
 
GasSavers_DaX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,209
Country: United States
There are a few bolts that

There are a few bolts that hold it to the transmission (I think even one of them sandwiches the plate between a bracket and the transmission bell housing) and I think two 10 mm bolts that hold it to the engine (these bolts point "up" instead of sideways like the ones going into the tranny). Oil pan removal is not necessary.

I've gone to change a clutch before and unbolted everything but this plate and was yanking and pulling on the transmission, only to look down and see that I had forgotten to unbolt this flywheel dust cover and had bent it all to hell.

Just go to the junk yard and pull one...you'll figure out how to get it off.
GasSavers_DaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 08:02 AM   #10
Driving on E
 
Matt Timion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 3,110
Country: United States
Re: There are a few bolts that

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaX
There are a few bolts that hold it to the transmission (I think even one of them sandwiches the plate between a bracket and the transmission bell housing) and I think two 10 mm bolts that hold it to the engine (these bolts point "up" instead of sideways like the ones going into the tranny). Oil pan removal is not necessary.

I've gone to change a clutch before and unbolted everything but this plate and was yanking and pulling on the transmission, only to look down and see that I had forgotten to unbolt this flywheel dust cover and had bent it all to hell.

Just go to the junk yard and pull one...you'll figure out how to get it off.
This is comforting to know I can do it easily. I might have to wait until the engine is in teh air before i can replace the part due to very limited space on that pallete.
__________________

Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
issue with image in signature banner brian83 Fuelly Web Support and Community News 5 09-13-2010 04:33 AM
SMS fuelup went to wrong car todd Fuelly Web Support and Community News 4 03-17-2010 03:31 AM
Kansas City GasSavers_katman General Discussion (Off-Topic) 1 05-27-2006 10:01 AM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 03:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.