D15Z1 (Civic VX) - clutch sensor ? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Tech, Troubleshooting and Repair > General Maintenance and Repair
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 06-07-2008, 05:44 AM   #1
VEI
Registered Member

D15Z1 (Civic VX) - clutch sensor ?

Hello.

What is the function of the litle sensor on the clutch pedal ?

VEI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 06:11 AM   #2
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Shot in the dark guess: Clutch-start lockout so you can't crank the starter without pushing the clutch pedal.

Old 06-07-2008, 06:23 AM   #3
VEI
Registered Member

My Civic is a european model. I have this sensor but I can start the engine without pushing the clutch pedal

So, no other function?
Old 06-07-2008, 06:54 AM   #4
Registered Member

I think there might be either one or two switches on the clutch pedal, depending on the model. One is called the clutch interlock switch. Like holy said, it's designed to prevent you from engaging the starter unless the pedal is down.

There could be another switch on the pedal, which has to do with the cruise control system. Of course a US VX doesn't have cruise, but maybe your VEI does. And maybe Honda decided to put the cruise-related switch on there even if your model doesn't have cruise.

I'm surprised you can start your car with the clutch up. I wonder what your owner's manual says about that. I think in the US manual it indicates that the pedal must be down.
monroe74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 07:07 AM   #5
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Quote:
Originally Posted by monroe74 View Post
I'm surprised you can start your car with the clutch up. I wonder what your owner's manual says about that. I think in the US manual it indicates that the pedal must be down.
It would be really annoying to find out that clutch-start interlock is not required outside of the US.
Old 06-07-2008, 07:17 AM   #6
VEI
Registered Member

monroe74, no cruise control system on european Civic.
The Civic VEi (D15Z1 engine) is the only one to have this sensor on the clutch pedal.

And nothing in the owner's manuel.
Old 06-07-2008, 09:45 AM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
It would be really annoying to find out that clutch-start interlock is not required outside of the US.
I just sort of assumed all cars are made that way these days, but maybe that's a silly assumption on my part. It just seems like a very rational safety feature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VEI View Post
monroe74, no cruise control system on european Civic.
The Civic VEi (D15Z1 engine) is the only one to have this sensor on the clutch pedal.

And nothing in the owner's manuel.
That's an interesting mystery. Maybe Honda put the switch on your model for no good reason. I think that sort of thing happens sometimes, deliberately, as a way to simplify manufacturing. Leaving the item in the design, if it's used on other cars, might be easier than deleting it from the design. Just a guess.
monroe74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 09:18 PM   #8
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to suspendedhatch
On some P07 pinouts that I've seen, the ECU actually has a clutch input. There are several functions for having a clutch input to the ECU. The example that comes to mind right now is a fuel and/or ignition cut when you put the clutch in.

Mine didn't have it but I wired it in to my AEM EMS so I could have WOT shifting and a 2 step rev limiter.

Civic VX, D15Z7, 5 Speed LSD, AEM EMS, AEM UEGO, AEM Twin Fire, Distributor-less, Waste Spark
suspendedhatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 06:49 AM   #9
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_Ryland
It's so the ecu knows when the clutch is being pressed so that it can start injecting fuel again when you press the clutch in if you are coasting in gear and the fuel has been cut.

GasSavers_Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote