D15Z1(Civic VX) Problems into DX Hatch - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Tech, Troubleshooting and Repair > General Maintenance and Repair
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 04-09-2010, 01:17 PM   #1
Registered Member

D15Z1(Civic VX) Problems into DX Hatch

Hey, I was sent here from another forum to further inquire about my problems. I have a 95 Honda Civic DX 3dr. It originally came with a D15B7, sohc non vtec. I lost compression in 2 cylinders and replaced it with a D15Z1, sohc vtec-e. My problem is that I couldn't/can't find a complete VX harness, what I'm using is half from DX and half from the VX. I have from the ECU to the shock tower is from the DX, and from the shock tower to the engine sensors and etc is from the VX.

Here is the link to my other thread with their responses.
http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2757197

I'm still unsure of what I need to do in order for it run right. I'm pretty sure the VX and DX harnesses can't be used with each other, as I have an extra plug unused on my shock tower.

ss3iverson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 10:21 PM   #2
Registered Member

You need to add a wire to the plug for the harness for stuff like vtec and wires for the 5 wire O2 sensors. I'd get an Electrical Wiring Diagram for the '92-'95 Civics and the service manual. You should be able to use the existing wiring harness and just add in the wiring you need. Have you tried to just drive the car like a DX? Like have all the stuff for the engine installed but continue to use the DX ECU, DX O2 sensors, etc..? I'd love to see how your car drives when in 12 valve mode on the DX ECU. Your car by default is suppose to be in 12 valve mode which is the fuel economy mode so it's possible that for now you can drive your car with the DX ECU and while you won't get lean burn, you will have the advantage of the cam timing.

I'd really really really appreciate if you could just drive around the car on the DX ECU and O2 sensors, running the car in 12 valve mode (don't short the Vtec solenoid cause otherwise it'll be in 16 valve mode), then report your experiences with the car like mileage and whatnot. It'd be excellent if you could do this because it'd tell everyone how just the cam profile alone is enough for a major boost in mileage.
imzjustplayin is offline   Reply With Quote