exhaust port restriction - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 07-08-2008, 02:30 PM   #1
Registered Member

exhaust port restriction

my valkyrie exhaust ports are round, with the top one fourth filled in. what is the purpose of this restriction ?

mikehallbackhoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 03:30 PM   #2
Registered Member

The "top"??? It's common for ports to be D shaped with a flat floor, the flat being on the short side radius. These tend to flow a tad better and keep velocity high, due to later onset of turbulence and more organised flow of gases following a flat SSR curve.

I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 04:21 PM   #3
Registered Member

you are right, the flat spot is on the bottom, on the short side radius. with the heads off, I got turned around thanks for the info. it sounds like I better not touch the ports
mikehallbackhoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 04:47 PM   #4
Registered Member

Well they might benefit from more of a hump on the bottom for a smoother turn out of the valve and some compensation out of the roof. But unless you know someone who can build them up with weld, then there's little that can be done, apart from fabbing your own port plates. But that's getting towards high magick, so if you're just cleaning them up, just take off any seams around the valve boss etc, make sure there's no sharp edges around the valve exit and leave the rest alone.
I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote